Why divide voltage by impedance only for the resistor in an RL circuit

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
teng125
Messages
416
Reaction score
0
v(rt) = 125mV cos (wt + 60)
R=250 ohms
L = 250mH
find i(t)
in the circuit there is a inductor in series wif the resistor

the answers i(t)=0.5 cos (wt+60)

may i know why is it the inductor not using to form z and then only divide by v(rt) ??why only the resistor??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The resistor impedance is 'real', i.e. voltage and current are in phase. The inductor and capacitor each have reactance or 'complex' impedance. i.e voltage and current are out of phase.
 
Last edited:
for z = 250 + j250 since w=1000 right??
then v(rt) = 125mV cos (wt + 60)

so can i divide them (v/z) ??
 
Ah, I think I now understand what's going on here! I apologize for the confusion.

Looking at the voltage v(rt) = 125mV cos (wt + 60)

I think that should be vR(t) = 125mV cos (wt + 60), which is the voltage across the resistor.

Then the current must be i(t) = vR(t)/R, and because the inductor and resistor are in series, the same current MUST pass through both.

Now the voltage across the resistor AND inductor is

v(t) = vR(t) + vL(t) = i(t) R + i(t) * jwL.