Understanding the Relationship between Mass and Weight in Mechanics

• Thread starter myusernameis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary, the given conversation discusses the equation u = -cos(t) + sqrt(3)sin(t) and finding the value of delta. It is determined that tan(delta) = sqrt(3)/-1, which can be rewritten as u = 2cos(t-2pi/3). The unit for metric is always in SI units and it is important to differentiate between weight and mass, with weight being a force and mass being a scalar quantity.
myusernameis
so u = -cos(t) + sqrt(3)sin(t)

so the Wo = 1, and R =2, but how do i find delta?

tan(del) = sqrt(3)/-1, but the answer has it as

u = 2cos(t-2pi/3)

i can't get the 2pi/3 no matter what i do...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you follow the posting guidelines I think it will be easier for someone to answer you. The question doesn't seem to be very clear.

acutally, i found my mistake!

Gregg said:
If you follow the posting guidelines I think it will be easier for someone to answer you. The question doesn't seem to be very clear.

um one more question, what should be the unit for metric?

should i do it in kg, m, seconds, always?

thanks

myusernameis said:
um one more question, what should be the unit for metric?

should i do it in kg, m, seconds, always?

thanks

yeah always use SI units

Gregg said:
yeah always use SI units
haha

ok, ONE LAST QUESTION (of this thread)..

how do i know when it's "weight" or "mass"? is it in the wordings of the problem?

thanks

myusernameis said:
haha

ok, ONE LAST QUESTION (of this thread)..

how do i know when it's "weight" or "mass"? is it in the wordings of the problem?

thanks

Weight is a vector, a force. You can see that the dimensions of a force would be kg m/s^2 or Newtons. Mass is a scalar quantity and will be measured, if in SI units, in kg only.

F=MA

Weight = mg

where m is mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity

Gregg said:
Weight is a vector, a force. You can see that the dimensions of a force would be kg m/s^2 or Newtons. Mass is a scalar quantity and will be measured, if in SI units, in kg only.

F=MA

Weight = mg

where m is mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity

thanks!

Related to Understanding the Relationship between Mass and Weight in Mechanics

1. What is mechanical vibration?

Mechanical vibration is the movement of a physical system about an equilibrium point. It is typically caused by an external force acting on the system and can result in oscillations or back-and-forth motion.

2. What are the types of mechanical vibration?

There are three main types of mechanical vibration: free vibration, forced vibration, and self-excited vibration. Free vibration occurs when a system is set in motion and left to vibrate on its own. Forced vibration is when an external force continuously acts on the system, causing it to vibrate. Self-excited vibration is a type of forced vibration that occurs when the external force is periodic and in sync with the natural frequency of the system.

3. How is mechanical vibration measured?

Mechanical vibration is typically measured using an accelerometer, which is a sensor that converts mechanical motion into an electrical signal. The accelerometer can then be connected to a data acquisition system or a vibration analyzer to record and analyze the vibration data.

4. What are the effects of mechanical vibration?

Mechanical vibration can have both positive and negative effects. In some cases, it can be used to improve the performance of a system, such as in musical instruments. However, excessive or uncontrolled vibration can lead to mechanical failure, discomfort, and even structural damage.

5. How can mechanical vibration be controlled?

There are several ways to control mechanical vibration, depending on the cause and type of vibration. Some common methods include adding damping materials to absorb energy, using isolation mounts to reduce the transmission of vibration, and implementing active control systems that use sensors and actuators to counteract the vibration.