Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding the relevance of writing a quantum state in the Schmidt basis

1. Jun 15, 2012 #1
    Hi all,
    This is both linear algebra and physics problem, and I decided to post in physics because I want a "physics-framed" answer.

Suppose you have a system with two objects (subsystems) in it described by the state:
    |ψ> = ƩiƩjcij|i>|j>

where |i> and |j> are orthonormal bases for the two different subsystems.

I apply a local unitary transformation to each subsystem, evolving the subsystem forward in time: U acts on |i> system, and V acts on |j> system.

According to the Singular Value Decomposition, this can be written as

U[\otimes]V|ψ> = Ʃi√λi|i>|i>

Notice, by choosing the special bases correctly using the SVD, we get a single sum over one index instead of a double sum over two indices.

My best understanding of this is that the SVD takes a system in one orthonormal basis and transforms it into another ("future state") orthonormal basis (transformed in size by the singular values, √λ). We have somehow coupled the two bases for the two different subsystems.

Since they are both orthonormal bases, we now only need one index to keep track of the wave-functions of the two sub-systems, whereas before we required taking a tensor product of every possible combination of the bases of the different subspaces.

I am not confident on this. What is the benefit of expressing with a single sum over a double sum (aside from easier math)? What does this represent physically?

Thanks in advance for your time...

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted