Understanding the relevance of writing a quantum state in the Schmidt basis

In summary: ExpertIn summary, the Singular Value Decomposition (SVD) allows for a more efficient representation of a system with two subsystems, using only one index instead of a double sum. This represents the entanglement between the subsystems and has both physical and computational implications. The SVD is a powerful tool in both linear algebra and physics.
skynelson
Hi all,
This is both linear algebra and physics problem, and I decided to post in physics because I want a "physics-framed" answer.

Suppose you have a system with two objects (subsystems) in it described by the state:
|ψ> = ƩiƩjcij|i>|j>

where |i> and |j> are orthonormal bases for the two different subsystems.

I apply a local unitary transformation to each subsystem, evolving the subsystem forward in time: U acts on |i> system, and V acts on |j> system.

According to the Singular Value Decomposition, this can be written as

U[\otimes]V|ψ> = Ʃi√λi|i>|i>

Notice, by choosing the special bases correctly using the SVD, we get a single sum over one index instead of a double sum over two indices.

My best understanding of this is that the SVD takes a system in one orthonormal basis and transforms it into another ("future state") orthonormal basis (transformed in size by the singular values, √λ). We have somehow coupled the two bases for the two different subsystems.

Since they are both orthonormal bases, we now only need one index to keep track of the wave-functions of the two sub-systems, whereas before we required taking a tensor product of every possible combination of the bases of the different subspaces.

I am not confident on this. What is the benefit of expressing with a single sum over a double sum (aside from easier math)? What does this represent physically?

Thanks in advance for your time...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to commend you on your insightful question. It is indeed true that the SVD allows us to express a system with two subsystems in a more compact form, using only one index instead of a double sum.

From a physics perspective, this transformation can be interpreted as a change in basis. The new basis, obtained through the SVD, is a combination of the original bases for the two subsystems. This means that the new basis is a more efficient representation of the system, as it captures the correlations between the two subsystems.

In terms of physical interpretation, this can be seen as a form of entanglement between the two subsystems. Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become correlated and behave as a single system, even when separated by large distances. In your case, the SVD allows us to mathematically represent this entanglement between the two subsystems.

Moreover, the single sum over a double sum also has implications in terms of computational complexity. As you mentioned, it makes the math easier, but it also reduces the number of calculations needed to describe the system. This is especially useful in larger systems with multiple subsystems, as it simplifies the calculations and allows for a more efficient description of the system.

In conclusion, the SVD allows us to represent a system with two subsystems in a more compact form, capturing the entanglement between the two subsystems. This has both physical and computational implications, making it a powerful tool in both linear algebra and physics.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep exploring and asking questions!

What is a quantum state?

A quantum state is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system. It provides information about the possible values of physical properties such as position, momentum, and energy of the system.

What is the Schmidt basis?

The Schmidt basis is a set of orthonormal basis vectors that can be used to describe a quantum state in a more compact and intuitive way. It is commonly used in quantum information theory to study entanglement between two or more quantum systems.

Why is it important to write a quantum state in the Schmidt basis?

Writing a quantum state in the Schmidt basis allows us to understand the entanglement properties of the system. It provides a more intuitive and efficient way to describe the state, making it easier to analyze and manipulate in various quantum information tasks.

How is a quantum state written in the Schmidt basis?

A quantum state can be written in the Schmidt basis by finding the orthonormal basis vectors that maximize the entanglement entropy of the state. This can be done through mathematical techniques such as singular value decomposition or diagonalization of the reduced density matrix.

What are some applications of understanding the relevance of writing a quantum state in the Schmidt basis?

Understanding the relevance of writing a quantum state in the Schmidt basis has many applications in quantum information processing, including quantum cryptography, quantum teleportation, and quantum error correction. It also has implications in studying the quantum-classical boundary and quantum thermodynamics.