Understanding U_n: Solving Series Questions with Two Summations

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
Does that help?In summary, the conversation discusses how taking the difference between two summations can give the value of the nth term. The example provided for n=4 shows that when the two summations are subtracted, the result is the value of the nth term. The general term for the summation is given as n^2 + 4n.
phospho
xQqbe.png

I don't understand how the part in yellow can give you U_n, I just don't see how taking the two summations away from each other would give U_n, could anyone explain it please

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it out for n=4. You'll see immediately what happens.

Think about it.
[itex]\Sigma^{n}_{r = 1} U_r= U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} + U_n[/itex], and
[itex]\Sigma^{n - 1}_{r = 1} U_r= U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1}[/itex].
So what happens when you subtract the two summations:
[itex]\left( U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} + U_n \right) - \left( U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} \right)[/itex]?EDIT: Beaten to it. :wink:

micromass said:
Write it out for n=4. You'll see immediately what happens.

write what out? I've substituted n = 4 and get 20 if I use what they have used for part b...

phospho said:
write what out? I've substituted n = 4 and get 20 if I use what they have used for part b...
I think micromass meant this:
n = 4: [itex]\Sigma^{4}_{r = 1} U_r= U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + U_4[/itex]
n - 1 = 3: [itex]\Sigma^{3}_{r = 1} U_r= U_1 + U_2 + U_3[/itex]
Don't plug into the expressions with the n's.

eumyang said:
Think about it.
[itex]\Sigma^{n}_{r = 1} U_r= U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} + U_n[/itex], and
[itex]\Sigma^{n - 1}_{r = 1} U_r= U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1}[/itex].
So what happens when you subtract the two summations:
[itex]\left( U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} + U_n \right) - \left( U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} \right)[/itex]?

EDIT: Beaten to it. :wink:

I see, but what is the "n^2 + 4n", is that a general term or..?

phospho said:
I see, but what is the "n^2 + 4n", is that a general term or..?
[itex]\Sigma^{n}_{r = 1} U_r = U_1 + U_2 + U_3 + ... + U_{n - 1} + U_n = n^2 + 4n[/itex]. That was given in the problem. Notice the substitution that was made in the step after the highlighted step.

1. What is U_n in "Understanding U_n: Solving Series Questions with Two Summations"?

U_n refers to the nth term in a series, where the value of n can vary depending on the specific problem. It is a variable that represents a specific element in the series.

2. What is the purpose of solving series questions with two summations?

The use of two summations allows for more complex series questions to be solved, as it takes into account both the general term of the series and the specific term being asked for. It can also provide a more efficient way of solving certain series problems.

3. How do I determine the value of n in U_n?

The value of n can be determined by looking at the specific element that is being asked for in the series. For example, if the question asks for the 10th term in the series, then n would be equal to 10.

4. What is the general formula for solving series questions with two summations?

The general formula is U_n = A + (n-1)d, where A is the first term of the series, n is the term being asked for, and d is the common difference between each term in the series. This formula can be used for arithmetic series, while other types of series may have different formulas.

5. Can this method be used for all types of series questions?

No, this method is specifically for solving series questions that involve two summations and have a constant difference between each term. Other types of series may require different methods or formulas for solving them.