Understanding Uniform Convergence: The Role of N and A

  • Thread starter Thread starter EV33
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
EV33
Messages
192
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I would just like to be pointed in the right direction. I have this theorem:

Let E be a measurable set of finite measure, and <fn> a sequence of measurable functions that converge to a real-valued function f a.e. on E. Then given ε>0 and [itex]\delta[/itex]>0, there is a set A[itex]\subset[/itex]E with mA<[itex]\delta[/itex], and an N such that for all x[itex]\notin[/itex]A and all n≥N,
lfn(x)-f(x)l<ε

To me it appears to be concluding:
Given ε>0 and [itex]\delta[/itex]>0, there is a set A[itex]\subset[/itex]E with mA<[itex]\delta[/itex], and an N such that for all x[itex]\notin[/itex]A and all n≥N,
<fn> converges uniformly to a real-valued function f on E~A.



I know that this isn't case but I don't see why. So my question is what would the conclusion of this theorem need to say, in terms of ε and [itex]\delta[/itex], so that <fn> converges uniformly to a real-valued function f on E~A?


Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between definitions of uniform and pointwise convergence is really small. What you have there is really uniform convergence. Although I don't see why you need delta and A..
Anyway, the difference is that in uniform convergence N does not depend on x. Swapping the conditions "there exists N" and "for all x" would produce the definition of pointwise convergence.