Understanding velocity=wavelength*frequency

• Thread starter staralfur
  • Start date
In summary, the equation for velocity=wavelength*frequency, also known as the wave equation, states that the velocity of a wave is equal to its wavelength multiplied by its frequency. To calculate velocity from wavelength and frequency, simply multiply the two values. The relationship between velocity, wavelength, and frequency is direct, meaning they all increase or decrease together. This equation applies to all types of waves and its units are meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters (m) for wavelength, and hertz (Hz) for frequency, although other units may be used.
staralfur
I am trying to understand the v=f*lambda equation.
I understand that the speed of soundwave is the same throughout the medium.
But let's say I have some kind of source that emits sound waves. If i increase the frequency, will the wavelength automatically decrease as the product of frequency x wavelength is a constant in the medium?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it will. The wavelength is shorter for higher frequencies.

Related to Understanding velocity=wavelength*frequency

1. What is the equation for velocity=wavelength*frequency?

The equation for velocity=wavelength*frequency is known as the wave equation. It states that the velocity of a wave is equal to its wavelength multiplied by its frequency.

2. How do you calculate velocity from wavelength and frequency?

In order to calculate velocity from wavelength and frequency, simply multiply the wavelength by the frequency. The resulting value will be the velocity of the wave.

3. What is the relationship between velocity, wavelength, and frequency?

The relationship between velocity, wavelength, and frequency is direct. This means that as the velocity of a wave increases, the wavelength and frequency also increase. Similarly, as the velocity decreases, the wavelength and frequency decrease.

4. How does understanding velocity=wavelength*frequency apply to different types of waves?

The equation velocity=wavelength*frequency applies to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and water waves. It is a fundamental equation in understanding the behavior of waves.

5. What are the units for velocity, wavelength, and frequency?

The units for velocity are meters per second (m/s), for wavelength are meters (m), and for frequency are hertz (Hz). However, other units may be used depending on the context of the problem.