Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Underwater data acquisition project

1. Feb 21, 2010 #1
    I'm currently working on a project where I am required to measure the load that is applied to a chain, which is submersed in an underwater tank (approx. 20 feet). The entire assembly must be self contained and hermetically sealed for up to 6 months.

I've successfully sourced some good ip68 load cells and a datalogger, however I'm trying to figure out the best approach to enclosing a 24v power supply needed to power my sensors.

Does anyone have any experience working with electronics underwater? I can't seem to find much info on some good ip68 enclosures that will allow a cable port.

The most idealsolution would be a self contained 24v power supply that would consist of a box with two wires coming off of it.

Thanks for any help,
    -Sean

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2010 #2
    Someone around these parts may have a better answer for you but have you tried looking in a dive shop to see what they have? I know they have big underwater battery packs for things like flashlights. Maybe you could use one of those.

4. Feb 22, 2010 #3

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Sean,

http://www.odi.com/" [Broken] make the connections you seek.

CS

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 22, 2010 #4
    Okefenokee: Most of those underwater battery packs are way too large for my application

Stewartcs: thanks for the info about ODI, I've been looking into what Seacon had, having more options is always a good thing

I found a really neat lithium polymer 14.8v dc source IP68 all the way....Unfortunately, the company has not decided to make them, I guess their just gauging interest

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook