1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unerstanding an Integration question

1. May 17, 2014 #1

gingermom

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for -1≤x≤1, F(x) =∫sqrt(1-t^2) from -1 to x ( sorry don't know how to put the limits on the sign

a. What does F(1) represent geometrically?
    b. Evaluate F(1)
    c. Find F'(x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since my teacher never seems to give simple questions I am wondering if I am missing something in what is being asked.
    a. I know this is a semicircle with radius of 1
    b. Evaluate - F(1) - I would think this is just plugging in for x=1 which would be ∏/2
    c. It seems like F'(x) would just be the integrand so F' (x) = sqrt(1-t^2)

I feel like maybe I am missing something or am I trying to make this harder than it is?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a.
    F(1) is not a semicircle in and of itself. F(1) is just some number. What does that number represent geometrically? Yes, it's related to that semi-circle.

b.
    That's right.

c.
    You said: F' (x) = sqrt(1-t^2). That's not right. There is a different independent variable on the left compared to the right.

4. May 17, 2014 #3

gingermom

Gold Member

Oh, so F(1) would be the area of the semicircle - for C I will have to think on that - Would I find the antiderivative using substitution and then find the derivative of that?

Will go back and review taking the integral with variable in the limits - thanks

5. May 17, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's simpler than that - use the fundamental theorem of calculus.
    For writing limits in forum posts, you could simply use sup and sub: ∫x=01. But it looks much better with LaTeX: ##\int_{x=0}^{1}##.
    If anyone posts LaTeX you can see how they did it (and copy it) by right-clicking on the text and selecting Show Math As->TeX commands. It doesn't show the controls which bracket the LaTeX. There are, to my knowledge, four ways of doing those. You can use TEX and /TEX, each inside square brackets [], which will put the LaTeX on a line by itself, or use ITEX and /ITEX if you just want it to be part of a longer line. There's a shorthand form for each of these. The first can be done with just a double dollar sign at each end ("$$", no square brackets); the second with a double hash symbol ("##", # being called a "pound sign" in US).

6. May 17, 2014 #5
    You may either use a substitution to find F'(x) or use the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Finding a suitable substitution would be faster in an exam situation. Can you spot one?

(I was taught this using substitution 2 years before I was taught the fundamental theorem of calculus).

7. May 17, 2014 #6

gingermom

Gold Member

so since the upper limit is x it would F '(x) =sqrt(1-x^2) * d/dx X which would be 1 so the answer would be F'(x) = sqrt(1-x^2)

Is that right?

8. May 17, 2014 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part of what you wrote is wrong or mis-stated, part is right.

When you wrote " ... which is 1 ... ", to what does which refer?

9. May 17, 2014 #8

gingermom

Gold Member

Okay, I think I was making this way harder than it needed to be - since the integral is from -1 to x and the upper limit is not something like x^2, by the Fundamental Rule of Calculus I should just be able to substitute the x for the t. If the upper limit been a limit that involved a function like x^2, then I would have had to use the chain rule. Is that correct?

10. May 17, 2014 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's pretty much it.

Your original answer said
    F' (x) = sqrt(1-t^2)​
    but it should have said
    F' (x) = sqrt(1-x^2) .​

That's all I was getting at for part c .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted