Unexpected result in the numerical calculation - (invalid value encountered)

In summary, there is an issue with calculating the result of taking the power of a negative number in numpy. This can be solved by converting the numpy result to a Python float before performing the power operation.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Code:
   from numpy import log as ln
    z = 3
    k = 2

x = 1 - ln(1 + z) / ln(1 + k)
    y = 1/5
    print("The x=", x)

Q = x**y

print(Q)

The result is

Code:
The x= -0.26185950714291484
    c:\Users\-\Desktop\... RuntimeWarning: invalid value
    encountered in double_scalars
      Q = x**y
    nan

I am having troubling to understand the problem here. It's clear that I can print the x, but I cannot take the power of it.Meanwhile when I write a code like

Code:
 x = -0.26185950714291484
    y = 1/5
    print("The x=", x)
    Q = x**y

print(Q)

I get

Code:
The x= -0.26185950714291484
    (0.6188299348758349+0.44960626529008196j)

I am literally shocked. I cannot understand what is going on. If I just put the numbers manually I can calculate the result. But if I do them computationally I get an error ?

Technology news on Phys.org
When you set x to a numpy result it uses numpy's overload of the ** operator which can't handle fractional powers of negative numbers. You need to convert x to a Python float: Q = float(x) ** y

• Informative
Likes sysprog, Arman777 and FactChecker
thanks

1. What is an unexpected result in numerical calculation?

An unexpected result in numerical calculation refers to a situation where the output of a mathematical operation or equation is not what was anticipated. It could be due to errors in the input data, incorrect equations or algorithms, or limitations of the calculation method.

2. How can an unexpected result be identified in numerical calculations?

An unexpected result can be identified by comparing the calculated output with the expected result or by checking for any errors or warnings in the calculation process. In some cases, the invalid value encountered error may also be displayed, indicating an unexpected result.

3. What could be the possible causes of an invalid value encountered error in numerical calculations?

The invalid value encountered error can occur due to various reasons such as division by zero, square root of a negative number, or overflow/underflow of numbers. It could also be caused by incorrect data input, errors in the calculation method, or programming errors.

4. How can an invalid value encountered error be prevented in numerical calculations?

To prevent an invalid value encountered error, it is important to carefully check the input data and ensure that it is valid and appropriate for the calculation. Choosing the correct calculation method and using appropriate error handling techniques can also help prevent this error.

5. What should be done if an invalid value encountered error occurs during a numerical calculation?

If an invalid value encountered error occurs, it is important to first identify the cause of the error. This can be done by checking the input data, equations, and calculation method used. Once the cause is identified, appropriate measures can be taken to fix the error and ensure accurate results.