Unified field theory

As far as protection goes, you can mail it to yourself in a well sealed package and don't open it. The postal mark registers the date of creation. More formally, you can hire a lawyer. You give it to the lawyer, s/he signs for it and locks it away in a safe somewhere, so if there's ever any question about authorship you've got some legal backup.

Then there's always arXiv.org - it's a pre-publication archive in effect, you submit a paper and whilst it's not "proper journal" peer-reviewed it does get it out there for casual review by knowledgeable parties. It does need to be a well rounded paper though - for example they reject umpteen amateur "proofs" of the Reimann hypothesis every month.

Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I have a mathmatical formula that ties gravity to the electromagnetic force,how can I present it without someone with more credentails stealing the credit
Man, has it really been a month already since the last time?

It does need to be a well rounded paper though ...
This will be of no help if the author is already blacklisted.

Evo
Mentor
This will be of no help if the author is already blacklisted.
As in prevented from submitting papers to a journal? If a person became such a notorius crackpot that submissions were routinely rejected, it would be a wake up call to the submitter, no?

As in prevented from submitting papers to a journal? If a person became such a notorius crackpot that submissions were routinely rejected, it would be a wake up call to the submitter, no?
"Would" be a wake-up call or "should" be one?

I'm really open to whacky ideas and the possibility that even a crackpot might have a germ of a new idea that might be useful. So I probably dig more into obviously wrong ideas than most, and spend a lot of time learning to understand the rebuttals of experienced scientists.

I've been looking around the net researching for the last several years, and from what I've seen, crackpot's have the faith of a religious fundamentalist and don't listen to anyone. Even if Einstein, Wheeler, and Feynman arose from the dead to show how a pet crackpot idea was wrong, I don't think many would listen.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
"Would" be a wake-up call or "Should" be one?

I'm really open to whacky ideas and the possibility that even a crackpot might have a germ of a new idea that might be useful. So I probably dig more into obviously wrong ideas than most, and spend a lot of time learning to understand the rebuttals of experienced scientists.

I've been looking around the net researching for the last several years, and from what I've seen, crackpot's have the faith of a religious fundamentalist and don't listen to anyone. Even if Einstein, Wheeler, and Feynman arose from the dead to show how a pet crackpot idea was wrong, I don't think many would listen.
I agree that a true crackpot will not likely give up, I was just responding to arkajad's post.

I guess so. But from the fact that several papers have been rejected does not follow that the next paper is not a real pearl. As Wikipedia is warning us:

Inductive reasoning, also known as induction or inductive logic, or educated guess in colloquial English, is a kind of reasoning that allows for the possibility that the conclusion is false even where all of the premises are true.

All of the ice we have examined so far is cold.
Therefore, all ice is cold.

or,

The person looks uncomfortable
Therefore, the person is uncomfortable.
From the probability theory we are learning that rare events are now being taken into account in insurance, finance, engineering, hydrology, in risk analysis (the law of small numbers). Perhaps they should also be taken into account in the administrating of science?

What I meant about imaginary numers is that you must use a J, I'm sorry to say that my mind is now fogged by pain and powerful pain killers