Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Unified Field Theory

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    Does anyone have details about what Einstein at a higher level tried in his last 30 years when he was working on Unified field theory.
    What approaches he tried?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think Kaluza Klien theory was related to his unified approach of trying to describe electromagnetism in a geometric fashion to be incorporated into GR.

You can read more history of unified field theory here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_field_theory

4. Mar 31, 2016 #3

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Einstein's final classical unified field theory was described in the 5th edition of his "The Meaning of Relativity", in an appendix. To his death, he believed that this version 'might be true'. In this, he proposed a non-symmetric pseudo-tensor, similar to but not the same as an affine connection, and posited various properties to restrict possible equations (transposition invariance, lambda invariance). Field equations come from a variational principle constructed from a contracted curvature expressed in terms of this pseudo-tensor.

I have never worked through this appendix in detail. So far as I know, very little work was ever done on this theory, as no one believed its motivation and conceptual structure. Like string theory, it begged for solutions corresponding to known observations.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  5. Mar 31, 2016 #4

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a presentation and discussion of Einein's final UFT, see section 9.4 and the rest of chapter 9 of:

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2014-5/title.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Apr 1, 2016 #5
    Thanks a lot PAllen

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted