Uniform Circular Motion of a motorcycle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a motorcycle with a constant speed of 25.0 m/s passing over the top of a hill with a radius of curvature of 126 m. The mass of the motorcycle and driver is 342 kg. The question asks for the magnitude of the centripetal force and the normal force acting on the cycle. Using the formula for centripetal force, the answer for part (a) is found to be 1.70 x 10^3 N, which matches with the answer provided in the back of the book. However, for part (b), the formula used was Normal Force = Weight + Centripetal Force, which gave an answer of 5048 N. The correct
ShamTheCandle

Homework Statement

A motorcycle has a constant speed of 25.0 m/s as it passes over the top of a hill whose radius of curvature is 126 m. The mass of the motorcycle and driver is 342 kg. Find the magnitude of (a) the centripetal force and (b) the normal force that acts on the cycle.

Homework Equations

F(centripetal) = mv^2/r
Weight=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formula for centripetal force, I found that the answer for part (a) is 1.70 x 10^3 N. My answer matches with the back of book. So it is right. However, for part (b) I used that
Normal Force = Weight + Centripetal Force = 5048 N. I don't think it is right since the back of the book says the answer is 1.66 x 10^3.

Thank you for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
thefifthlord said:
Centripetal force always acts towards the center, in this case the center is up, so its actually
Edit: Sorry typo.
Fn = Fg - Fc

To anyone who is reading this thread, i need major help here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=356807

Ohhh, I see. This makes sense now. Thank you!

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity remains constant, but its direction changes continuously.

2. How does a motorcycle maintain uniform circular motion?

In order for a motorcycle to maintain uniform circular motion, it needs a centripetal force acting towards the center of the circular path. This force is provided by the friction between the motorcycle's tires and the road.

3. What is the relationship between speed and radius in uniform circular motion?

The speed of an object in uniform circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of its circular path. This means that as the radius increases, the speed also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can a motorcycle maintain uniform circular motion on a banked curve?

Yes, a motorcycle can maintain uniform circular motion on a banked curve as long as the centripetal force is still acting towards the center of the curve. The angle of the banked curve must be adjusted to provide the necessary centripetal force.

5. How does the mass of the motorcycle affect uniform circular motion?

The mass of the motorcycle does not affect uniform circular motion as long as the motorcycle's speed and radius remain constant. This is because the centripetal force is only dependent on the speed and radius, not the mass of the object.