Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Uniform continuity, bounded subsets

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if f: S -> Rn is uniformly continuous and S is bounded, then f(S) is bounded.

2. Relevant equations

Uniformly continuous on S: for every e>0 there exists d>0 s.t. for every x,y in S, |x-y| < d implies |f(x) - f(y)| < e

bounded: a set S in Rn is bounded if it is contained in some ball about the origin. That is, there is a constant C s.t. |x|<C for every x in S.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the idea of the proof pretty well but I cannot write the correct mathematical interpretation of it down.

Basically, S is bounded, so it can be divided into segments (TA called them partitions which is confusing since S is in Rn not R).
    Each segment can be made smaller than d. Then, by uniform continuity we know that f(segment) is smaller than e (bounded) so we can draw a ball around it.
    Since there is a finite number of segments, there are a finite number of balls f(segment). Hence, we can draw a bigger ball around all of them, and thus f(S) is bounded.

How do I put this into math symbols?

Thanks for your help =)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The thing you want here is a cover, and not a partition.

Can you show that:
    [tex]N_{\epsilon}(f(x)) \supset f(N_{\delta}(x))[/tex]
    and that
    [tex]S \subset \bigcup_{\rm{finite}} N_{\delta}(x_i)[/tex]

As a note: When you're applying a function to each of a set of objects, it's typical to refer to the result as the image of applying the function to that set. Something like:
    [tex]N_{\epsilon}(f(x)) \supset Im_f(N_{\delta}(x))[/tex]
    might be better notation, because errors can occur when sets are treated like single-valued objects.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    What's N_e?

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The epsilon neighborhood of something. It's the same idea as, say:
    [tex]B(\epsilon,x)[/tex]
    The ball of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] around [itex]x[/itex].

I probably didn't make the best choices in notation there -- my apologies.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook