1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform continuity, bounded subsets

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if f: S -> Rn is uniformly continuous and S is bounded, then f(S) is bounded.

2. Relevant equations

Uniformly continuous on S: for every e>0 there exists d>0 s.t. for every x,y in S, |x-y| < d implies |f(x) - f(y)| < e

bounded: a set S in Rn is bounded if it is contained in some ball about the origin. That is, there is a constant C s.t. |x|<C for every x in S.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the idea of the proof pretty well but I cannot write the correct mathematical interpretation of it down.

Basically, S is bounded, so it can be divided into segments (TA called them partitions which is confusing since S is in Rn not R).
    Each segment can be made smaller than d. Then, by uniform continuity we know that f(segment) is smaller than e (bounded) so we can draw a ball around it.
    Since there is a finite number of segments, there are a finite number of balls f(segment). Hence, we can draw a bigger ball around all of them, and thus f(S) is bounded.

How do I put this into math symbols?

Thanks for your help =)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The thing you want here is a cover, and not a partition.

Can you show that:
    [tex]N_{\epsilon}(f(x)) \supset f(N_{\delta}(x))[/tex]
    and that
    [tex]S \subset \bigcup_{\rm{finite}} N_{\delta}(x_i)[/tex]

As a note: When you're applying a function to each of a set of objects, it's typical to refer to the result as the image of applying the function to that set. Something like:
    [tex]N_{\epsilon}(f(x)) \supset Im_f(N_{\delta}(x))[/tex]
    might be better notation, because errors can occur when sets are treated like single-valued objects.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Jun 14, 2007 #3
    What's N_e?

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The epsilon neighborhood of something. It's the same idea as, say:
    [tex]B(\epsilon,x)[/tex]
    The ball of radius [itex]\epsilon[/itex] around [itex]x[/itex].

I probably didn't make the best choices in notation there -- my apologies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?