Uniform continuity proof on bounded sets

In summary, the problem is to prove that if f is uniformly continuous on a bounded set S, then f is a bounded function on S. The definition of uniform continuity states that for all e>0, there exists d>0 such that for all x,y in S, |x-y| implies |f(x)-f(y)|. The attempt at a solution uses the incorrect assumption that |x-y| < d for all x,y in S, leading to an incorrect conclusion. The correct proof would involve using the definition of uniform continuity to show that there exists a bound M such that |f(x)| < M for all x in S.
lionel_hutz

Homework Statement

Prove that if f is uniformly continuous on a bounded set S, then f is a bounded function on S.

Homework Equations

Uniform continuity: For all e>0, there exist d>0 s.t for all x,y in S |x-y| implies |f(x)-f(y)|

The Attempt at a Solution

Every time my book has covered a similar topic, it uses subsequences, which I'm a bit uncomfortable with. Is this following proof valid?

Let f be uniformly continuous on a bounded set, S (1), Then:

For all e>0, there exist d>0 s.t for all x,y in S |x-y| implies |f(x)-f(y)| (2)

so (3) |f(x)|<|f(y)| + e, for all x in S

Therefore, it's bounded on S

Physics news on Phys.org
lionel_hutz said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if f is uniformly continuous on a bounded set S, then f is a bounded function on S.

Homework Equations

Uniform continuity: For all e>0, there exist d>0 s.t for all x,y in S |x-y| implies |f(x)-f(y)|

Every time my book has covered a similar topic, it uses subsequences, which I'm a bit uncomfortable with. Is this following proof valid?

so (3) |f(x)|<|f(y)| + e, for all x in S

Therefore, it's bounded on S
How did you get (3)? You don't know that ##|x-y| < d## for all ##x,y \in S##.

This same question was just asked yesterday. Perhaps the hints given in that thread will help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=678514

lionel_hutz said:
I thought that was just a typo until..

S

Until I saw you "use" it. It isn't even a sentence. I think you need to work on understanding the definition of uniform continuity.

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity that ensures a function's output does not change drastically when its input changes slightly. In other words, as the input values get closer together, the output values also get closer together.

2. How is uniform continuity different from ordinary continuity?

Ordinary continuity only requires a function to be continuous at a single point, while uniform continuity requires the function to be continuous for all points within a certain interval. This means that a function can have small discontinuities at some points, but as long as the points are not too close together, the function is still considered uniformly continuous.

3. Why is it important to prove uniform continuity on bounded sets?

Proving uniform continuity on bounded sets is important because it allows us to make precise statements about the behavior of a function within a specific range of values. This can be useful in many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics, where we need to understand how a function behaves within a certain range of inputs.

4. What are the key steps in a uniform continuity proof on bounded sets?

The key steps in a uniform continuity proof on bounded sets include defining the function, stating the bounded set, proving that the function is continuous on the set, and then using the definition of uniform continuity to show that the function satisfies the necessary conditions.

5. Is every bounded function uniformly continuous?

No, not every bounded function is uniformly continuous. For example, the function f(x) = 1/x is bounded between 1 and 2, but it is not uniformly continuous on this interval. A function must satisfy specific conditions, such as having a finite slope, in order to be uniformly continuous on a bounded set.