Unit in a ring (abstract algebra)

In summary, the conversation discusses whether (x^2-1) is a unit in F[x], where F is a field. The concept of a unit and its inverse is mentioned, and the suggestion of using the Taylor expansion of 1/(x^2-1) as a possible inverse is brought up. However, it is noted that the Taylor expansion is not a polynomial and therefore not an element of the field. The conversation concludes that the answer is likely "no" due to the properties of being in a field.
cummings12332

Homework Statement

Is (x^2-1) a unit in F[x]? where F is a field.

2. The attempt at a solution
I might say yes, cause we can find the taylor expansion of 1/(x^2-1), is my idea right?

Physics news on Phys.org
cummings12332 said:

Homework Statement

Is (x^2-1) a unit in F[x]? where F is a field.

2. The attempt at a solution
I might say yes, cause we can find the taylor expansion of 1/(x^2-1), is my idea right?

The taylor expansion is not a polynomial. It has an infinite number of terms.

it has been a long time since I studied Ring Theory, but here is what I remember that might be relevant:

A unit is an element that has an inverse. So in order for ##x^2-1## to be a unit, there would have to exist an inverse of ##x^2-1## in your field. Your suggestion of ##\frac{1}{x^2-1}## is a reasonable candidate, but I do not believe it is an element of your field. This is because I always took ##F[x]## to represent the ring of finite degree polynomials over the field, F, and the Taylor expansion of ##\frac{1}{x^2-1}## is infinite.

In my opinion, the answer needs to be "no." I think proving this hinges on the fact that we're in a field (and hence an integral domain) so there is no terms that can multiply by ##x^2## to make the leading coefficient zero.

Good Luck!

1. What is a unit in a ring?

A unit in a ring is an element that has a multiplicative inverse in the ring. In other words, when multiplied by another element, the result is the identity element of the ring.

2. How is a unit different from a zero divisor?

A zero divisor is an element in a ring that when multiplied by another element, the result is zero. A unit, on the other hand, has a multiplicative inverse and cannot be a zero divisor.

3. Are all elements in a ring units?

No, not all elements in a ring are units. Only elements that have a multiplicative inverse are considered units.

4. Can a unit have more than one multiplicative inverse?

No, a unit can only have one multiplicative inverse in a ring. If an element has more than one inverse, then it is not considered a unit.

5. What is the difference between a unit in a ring and a unit in a group?

A unit in a ring is an element that has a multiplicative inverse in the ring, whereas a unit in a group is an element that has an inverse under the group's operation. In other words, a unit in a ring is a special case of a unit in a group.