Computing the order in a polynomial quotient ring

In summary: If we have proven the isomorphism, it ends there. If not, we need to divide ##(f+dx)^m## by the irreducible polynomial, in ##\mathbb Z_3[x]## and show that the remainder is ##1\mod 3##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Consider the quotient ring ##F = \mathbb{Z}_3 [x] / \langle x^2 + 1 \rangle##. Compute the order of the coset ##(x+1) + \langle x^2 + 1 \rangle## in the group of units ##F*##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that I just continually compute powers of (x+1) until I reach a polynomial with ##x^2+1## as a factor, but this is cumbersome. I guess my question, after each computation, how do I reduce the expression to get a simpler description of the coset? Do I just subtract ##x^2 + 1## as many times as a please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question, as stated, presupposes that ##(x+1)+\langle x^2+1\rangle## is a unit of ##F##. Is that true? Why, or why not?

andrewkirk said:
The question, as stated, presupposes that ##(x+1)+\langle x^2+1\rangle## is a unit of ##F##. Is that true? Why, or why not?
Well ##F## is a field, since ##\langle x^2 + 1 \rangle## is a maximal ideal since ##x^2 + 1## is irreducible in ##\mathbb{Z}_3##, so ##(x+1)+\langle x^2+1\rangle## must be a unit of ##F## since all non-zero elements are units by definition of a field.

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well ##F## is a field, since ##\langle x^2 + 1 \rangle## is a maximal ideal since ##x^2 + 1## is irreducible in ##\mathbb{Z}_3##, so ##(x+1)+\langle x^2+1\rangle## must be a unit of ##F## since all non-zero elements are units by definition of a field.
Good.

But in this latest post you wrote ##\mathbb Z_3##, implying that the parent polynomial ring is ##\mathbb Z_3[x]##, whereas in the OP you wrote ##\mathbb Z[x]##. Which is it?

andrewkirk said:
Good.

But in this latest post you wrote ##\mathbb Z_3##, implying that the parent polynomial ring is ##\mathbb Z_3[x]##, whereas in the OP you wrote ##\mathbb Z[x]##. Which is it?
Oops, it's ##\mathbb{Z}_3 [x]##. Sorry.

That makes the problem make more sense.

You can shortcut all the polynomial multiplication by making use of the fact that ##\mathbb R[x]/\langle x^2+1\rangle\cong \mathbb C## via the field isomorphism that maps 1 to 1 and ##x## to ##i##. It would seem to be a natural guess then that the quotient field here is isomorphic to the Gaussian Integers modulo 3, ie ##\mathbb Z_3+i\mathbb Z_3##. What is the lowest positive integer to which we need to raise ##1+i## to get a real number?

andrewkirk said:
That makes the problem make more sense.

You can shortcut all the polynomial multiplication by making use of the fact that ##\mathbb R[x]/\langle x^2+1\rangle\cong \mathbb C## via the field isomorphism that maps 1 to 1 and ##x## to ##i##. It would seem to be a natural guess then that the quotient field here is isomorphic to the Gaussian Integers modulo 3, ie ##\mathbb Z_3+i\mathbb Z_3##. What is the lowest positive integer to which we need to raise ##1+i## to get a real number?
Since ##(1+i)^4 = -4##, the answer is 4.

Not so fast. Firstly, the question should have been 'what is the lowest positive integer ##m## to which we need to raise ##1+i## to get a number that is 1 mod 3.' My mistake, but we wouldn't want the hints on here to be too accurate would we, or where would be the satisfaction for the students?

Secondly, having found ##m##, since we have only guessed that the isomorphism holds, we need to verify that ##(x+1)^m=1\mod (x^2+1)## in ##\mathbb Z_3[x]##. Taking the appropriate row of Pascal's Triangle will help us do this.

Okay, so ##(1+i)^8 = 16 = 1 \pmod 3##. Also, rather than using pascal's in this example, is there a more general way? For example, what if we have an irreducible quadratic of the form ##ax^2 + bx + c##?

Provided the roots of the quadratic are in the Gaussian Rationals ##\mathbb Q+i\mathbb Q## we can proceed the same way. We find the smallest ##m## such that ##(f+id)^m=1\mod 3## where ##f+dx## represents the coset we are considering.

If we have proven the isomorphism, it ends there. If not, we need to divide ##(f+dx)^m## by the irreducible polynomial, in ##\mathbb Z_3[x]## and show that the remainder is ##1\mod 3##.

What is a polynomial quotient ring?

A polynomial quotient ring is a mathematical structure that combines two concepts: polynomials and quotient rings. It is a set of polynomials with coefficients in a specific ring, where we can perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the order of a polynomial quotient ring?

The order of a polynomial quotient ring is the number of elements in the ring. It is determined by the degree of the polynomials in the ring and the order of the underlying ring. For example, if the underlying ring is the integers and the polynomials in the ring have a maximum degree of 3, then the order of the polynomial quotient ring would be 4.

How do you compute the order of a polynomial quotient ring?

To compute the order of a polynomial quotient ring, you need to determine the number of elements in the ring. This can be done by finding all possible combinations of the coefficients of the polynomials, taking into account the degree of the polynomials and the order of the underlying ring. Then, you can simplify the combinations by using the rules of the ring and remove any duplicates to get the final number of elements.

Why is computing the order of a polynomial quotient ring important?

Computing the order of a polynomial quotient ring is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the ring. It allows us to determine if the ring is finite or infinite, and to analyze its elements and operations. This information is crucial in many areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and cryptography.

What are some applications of computing the order of a polynomial quotient ring?

One application of computing the order of a polynomial quotient ring is in error-correcting codes. These codes use polynomial quotient rings to detect and correct errors in data transmission. Other applications include coding theory, cryptography, and algebraic geometry.