1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing the order in a polynomial quotient ring

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the quotient ring ##F = \mathbb{Z}_3 [x] / \langle x^2 + 1 \rangle##. Compute the order of the coset ##(x+1) + \langle x^2 + 1 \rangle## in the group of units ##F*##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking that I just continually compute powers of (x+1) until I reach a polynomial with ##x^2+1## as a factor, but this is cumbersome. I guess my question, after each computation, how do I reduce the expression to get a simpler description of the coset? Do I just subtract ##x^2 + 1## as many times as a please?

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The question, as stated, presupposes that ##(x+1)+\langle x^2+1\rangle## is a unit of ##F##. Is that true? Why, or why not?

4. May 5, 2017 #3
    Well ##F## is a field, since ##\langle x^2 + 1 \rangle## is a maximal ideal since ##x^2 + 1## is irreducible in ##\mathbb{Z}_3##, so ##(x+1)+\langle x^2+1\rangle## must be a unit of ##F## since all non-zero elements are units by definition of a field.

5. May 6, 2017 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good.

But in this latest post you wrote ##\mathbb Z_3##, implying that the parent polynomial ring is ##\mathbb Z_3[x]##, whereas in the OP you wrote ##\mathbb Z[x]##. Which is it?

6. May 6, 2017 #5
    Oops, it's ##\mathbb{Z}_3 [x]##. Sorry.

7. May 6, 2017 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That makes the problem make more sense.

You can shortcut all the polynomial multiplication by making use of the fact that ##\mathbb R[x]/\langle x^2+1\rangle\cong \mathbb C## via the field isomorphism that maps 1 to 1 and ##x## to ##i##. It would seem to be a natural guess then that the quotient field here is isomorphic to the Gaussian Integers modulo 3, ie ##\mathbb Z_3+i\mathbb Z_3##. What is the lowest positive integer to which we need to raise ##1+i## to get a real number?

8. May 6, 2017 #7
    Since ##(1+i)^4 = -4##, the answer is 4.

9. May 6, 2017 #8

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not so fast. Firstly, the question should have been 'what is the lowest positive integer ##m## to which we need to raise ##1+i## to get a number that is 1 mod 3.' My mistake, but we wouldn't want the hints on here to be too accurate would we, or where would be the satisfaction for the students?

Secondly, having found ##m##, since we have only guessed that the isomorphism holds, we need to verify that ##(x+1)^m=1\mod (x^2+1)## in ##\mathbb Z_3[x]##. Taking the appropriate row of Pascal's Triangle will help us do this.

10. May 6, 2017 #9
    Okay, so ##(1+i)^8 = 16 = 1 \pmod 3##. Also, rather than using pascal's in this example, is there a more general way? For example, what if we have an irreducible quadratic of the form ##ax^2 + bx + c##?

11. May 6, 2017 #10

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Provided the roots of the quadratic are in the Gaussian Rationals ##\mathbb Q+i\mathbb Q## we can proceed the same way. We find the smallest ##m## such that ##(f+id)^m=1\mod 3## where ##f+dx## represents the coset we are considering.

If we have proven the isomorphism, it ends there. If not, we need to divide ##(f+dx)^m## by the irreducible polynomial, in ##\mathbb Z_3[x]## and show that the remainder is ##1\mod 3##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted