Unit of sound/noise is decibels

In summary, decibels (dB) are the unit used to measure the intensity of sound or noise on a logarithmic scale. Sound is a physical phenomenon while noise is any unwanted sound. Prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 decibels can cause hearing damage and sounds above 120 decibels can be painful and cause permanent hearing loss. Decibels cannot be added or subtracted in the same way as other units of measurement, as they represent a tenfold increase in sound intensity for every 10 decibels. To protect ourselves from excessive noise exposure, we can use earplugs or earmuffs, limit exposure to loud noises, and follow workplace safety regulations.
GAGS
Hi all,i am extremely sorry that i am asking a very basic question,The unit of sound/noise is decibels,but unit of attenuation is also decibels/length, so how it could be possible as two are different things.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't understand your question. You have two different quantities, each with its own units. Decibels is not the same as decibels/length.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is completely understandable to have questions about scientific concepts, no matter how basic they may seem. I am here to help clarify any confusion you may have.

To begin, let's define what decibels (dB) actually measure. Decibels are a unit of measurement used to express the intensity or loudness of sound. It is a logarithmic unit, meaning that it is measured on a scale that increases by powers of 10. This is because our perception of sound is not linear, and our ears are able to detect a very wide range of sound levels.

Now, let's address your concern about the unit of attenuation also being measured in decibels. Attenuation is the reduction of sound or noise as it travels through a medium, such as air or water. It is typically measured in decibels per unit of length, such as decibels per meter (dB/m) or decibels per kilometer (dB/km). This unit expresses the amount by which the sound has been reduced over a certain distance.

So, while both sound and attenuation are measured in decibels, they are measuring different aspects of sound. Sound is measuring the loudness, while attenuation is measuring the reduction of sound over a distance. Think of it like measuring the height of a building (sound) versus the slope of a hill (attenuation). Both are measured in meters, but they are measuring different things.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. it is my job to help people understand complex concepts. Keep asking questions and keep learning!

Best regards,

1. What is a decibel and how is it measured?

A decibel (dB) is a unit for measuring the intensity of sound or noise. It is a logarithmic scale that compares the level of sound or noise to a reference point. Decibels are measured using a sound level meter, which detects sound pressure levels and converts them to decibels.

2. What is the difference between sound and noise?

Sound is a physical phenomenon that is produced by vibrations in the air, while noise is any unwanted or unpleasant sound. Sound can be measured in decibels, while noise is a subjective experience and can vary from person to person.

3. How loud is too loud?

The threshold for human hearing is 0 decibels, and prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 decibels can cause hearing damage. Generally, sounds above 120 decibels can be painful and can cause permanent hearing loss.

4. Can decibels be added or subtracted?

No, decibels cannot be added or subtracted in the same way as other units of measurement. Decibels are a logarithmic scale, meaning that every 10 decibels represents a tenfold increase in sound intensity. For example, 70 decibels is 10 times louder than 60 decibels.

5. How can we protect ourselves from excessive noise exposure?

There are several ways to protect ourselves from excessive noise exposure. These include using earplugs or earmuffs in loud environments, limiting exposure to loud noises, and keeping a safe distance from sources of loud sounds. It is also important to follow workplace safety regulations and use proper hearing protection when necessary.