1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unity gain in lowpass STC circuit

1. Feb 7, 2009 #1
    One of the question asks to find the frequency at which the gain becomes 0dB for a low pass Single Time Constant circuit. In the solution manual after finding the 3dB frequency = 10^6, it states that since the gain falls off at a rate of -20dB/dec (see attatchment for graph) starting at w0(Omega-knot) , which is 10^6, the gain will reach 0dB in 2 decades (a factor of 100), therefore unity gain frequency = (10^6)(10^2)= 10^8. Now i dont understand how the gain will reach 0dB in 2 decades, because if you look at the graph of a low pass stc circuit it starts off at 0dB then falls by -20dB/dec. Am i reading the log scale graphs incorrectly? Please clarify. Thank You.

Attached Files:

• 3db.jpg
      3db.jpg
      File size:
      16 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2009 #2
    Sorry, the dc gain (K) is also given which is 100 V/V = 40dB, so it seems like the gain should be 40dB until w=w0 (omega = omega-knot), then the gain starts to attenuate at -20dB/dec. I'm not really good at reading the log graphs so does this mean depending on what your dc gain value is, it will start there and then start decreasing at -20dB/dec after 3dB frequency? Thanks Again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook