Universal Gravitation Question (solving for distance)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the distance of a space vehicle from the center of the Earth, as well as its height above the surface of the Earth. The solution involves rearranging the equation FG = GM1M2/d squared and using the radius of the Earth to solve for both parts of the problem.
lindsey0307

Homework Statement

A space vehicle of mass 555kg, experiences a gravitational pull from Earth of 255N. The mass of Earth is 5.98x10 (to the power of 24) kg.How far is the vehicle a) from the center of the Earth, and b) above the surface of the Earth?

Homework Equations

FG = GM1M2/d squared

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation above, and solved for d (the radius) and got the answer 2.95x10(to the power of 7) m, which I believe is correct. However, I can't seem to figure out how to find part b) or even what variable I am solving for. I'm not solving for the radius because I already did that in a) so I think I'll have to alter the equation somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
lindsey0307 said:
I rearranged the equation above, and solved for d (the radius)
d stands for the distance of the object from the center of the earth, not the radius of anything.
However, I can't seem to figure out how to find part b) or even what variable I am solving for.
Hint: What's the radius of the earth? (Look it up.)

I got the same answer as you for the radius (distance from the centre of the Earth)
To find the height above the surface of the Earth you need to know the radius of the Earth... do you have that?

Oh, I just realized I do have the radius of Earth on my formula sheet (which we've never needed to use before). It says it is 6.28x10 (to the power of 6) m.

Now I've got the answer! I just subtracted the radius of Earth from my answer in a). Ah, i should've realized that...thank you!

1. How do you calculate the distance between two objects using universal gravitation?

To calculate the distance between two objects using universal gravitation, you can use the formula: distance = √(G * (m1 + m2) / F), where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and F is the force of gravity between them.

2. What is the universal gravitational constant?

The universal gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental physical constant that is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 N * m^2 / kg^2.

3. Can universal gravitation be used to calculate the distance between any two objects?

Yes, universal gravitation can be used to calculate the distance between any two objects, as long as their masses and the force of gravity between them are known.

4. How does the distance between two objects affect the force of gravity between them?

The force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases.

5. What units are used to measure distance in the calculation of universal gravitation?

Distance is typically measured in meters (m) in the calculation of universal gravitation. However, other units such as kilometers (km) or centimeters (cm) can also be used as long as they are consistent with the units used for mass and force in the equation.