Universal Solvent Riddle: What is in the Beaker?

• Thread starter Alt-Bringer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary, the conversation discusses whether time can be considered a solvent and the answer is no, as time is not a substance and does not dissolve anything.
Alt-Bringer
i once heard a riddle reguarding "universal solvent"
it goes something like, " a scientist is holding a beaker and says he's discovered a universal solvent,
whats in the beaker?"
the usual answer is water. a wiseacre might say it melted through so nothing

my question is wether time could be concidered as a solvent proper
or... i guess, what would time actualy be concidered in such terms

Physics news on Phys.org
Alt-Bringer said:
my question is wether time could be concidered as a solvent proper
or... i guess, what would time actualy be concidered in such terms

No, for a solvent is defined as a substance that dissolves a solute and results in a solution. Time is not a solvent. It's not even a substance. You cannot consider time in such terms at all.

1. What is a "Universal Solvent Riddle"?

A "Universal Solvent Riddle" is a puzzle or question that is often used to test a person's problem-solving abilities and scientific knowledge. It typically involves a beaker with a mysterious liquid inside that is described as a "universal solvent."

2. What is a universal solvent?

A universal solvent is a substance that has the ability to dissolve or mix with a wide range of other substances. It is often referred to as the "master solvent" because of its ability to dissolve many different types of compounds.

3. What is in the beaker in the "Universal Solvent Riddle"?

The contents of the beaker in the "Universal Solvent Riddle" can vary, but it is typically described as a clear liquid that is labeled as a "universal solvent." The true answer to the riddle is often left open to interpretation, but some possible answers could include water, alcohol, or another solvent commonly used in scientific experiments.

4. What is the significance of the "Universal Solvent Riddle"?

The "Universal Solvent Riddle" is often used as a way to challenge individuals to think critically and creatively. It also highlights the importance of solvents in scientific research and experiments, as they are essential for dissolving and mixing different substances to create reactions and solutions.

5. Can a substance truly be a universal solvent?

No, a substance cannot truly be a universal solvent. While there are some substances that have a high ability to dissolve and mix with many other substances, there is no single substance that can dissolve everything. Each solvent has its own unique properties and limitations, and the concept of a "universal solvent" is more of a hypothetical idea rather than a reality.