University Applications: Medicine Requirements Help

In summary: I have 4 HLs in IB. I'm thinking about going to 5, but I'm not sure if my school will let me. I should talk to the Head of IB at my school and find out.In summary, an IB student in Europe needs to have 5 HLs in order to study Medicine. If the student only has 4 HLs, they may have to change their program of study.
Turkish
Hi, I'd like someone to help me out with a rather huge problem I have at my hands. Theres 1 year for me to successfully complete my IB Course doing Maths-Chemistry-Physics as Higher, and the problem is that, I would like to do Medicine... However I've been looking through the University Requirements and reading through I've come to realize that I may have made the wrong choice In picking Physics, as every University has so far had 'Biology And Chemistry' as the Requirement. I am unsure about what to do, therefore I would like some people to suggest a few ideas please. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Turkish said:
Hi, I'd like someone to help me out with a rather huge problem I have at my hands. Theres 1 year for me to successfully complete my IB Course doing Maths-Chemistry-Physics as Higher, and the problem is that, I would like to do Medicine... However I've been looking through the University Requirements and reading through I've come to realize that I may have made the wrong choice In picking Physics, as every University has so far had 'Biology And Chemistry' as the Requirement. I am unsure about what to do, therefore I would like some people to suggest a few ideas please. Thanks

To my knowledge you nearly always need biology to study Medcine - I would change options ASAP as even if the Uni only wants chemistry - biology is a huge bonus

Last edited:
I think at cambridge and some other Uk universities you might not need biology only two out of Chemistry, maths, F maths, physics, biology. I'm guessing your in Europe as your doing IB ignore this if you are not.

I do IB in the UK, and I'm having doubts whether I should change to Biology ASAP or not, Its a very hard choice as after looking through the UCAS and seeing most unis accepting Bio and Chem made me very upset.. so I am unsure :/

What point are you in your studies? How good are you at your current options/physics? And what does your school/college careers advisor suggest?

I've just started year 13, basically i'll be applying to Unis soon, and I havn't had a chance to talk to my Career adviser yet... But will get on that soon, and i'll be checking out that site aswell.. As for Physics, I enjoy it so much, best subject, and I am pretty much awesome at it I guess..

rho said:
I'm guessing your in Europe as your doing IB ignore this if you are not.
IB isn't only in Europe. I'm in my second IB year (similarily to Turkish) doing HL math, physics, chem, and english...and I live in Canada.

I'm in IB2 as well... in Mexico.
Wow, 4 HL's. I wish MY school offered such options... but no, we're new to IB. We're like guinea pigs.

somekid said:
I'm in IB2 as well... in Mexico.
Wow, 4 HL's. I wish MY school offered such options... but no, we're new to IB. We're like guinea pigs.

somekid...you didn't know that in some schools in Europe, they allow students to do 5 HL's, given that you're going to go to university to study medicine. For example, they may allow you to take:

HL Maths
HL Chem
HL Bio
HL History
HL Latin
SL A1 German

IB said:
somekid...you didn't know that in some schools in Europe, they allow students to do 5 HL's, given that you're going to go to university to study medicine. For example, they may allow you to take:

HL Maths
HL Chem
HL Bio
HL History
HL Latin
SL A1 German
Which is a HUGE workload. I'm content with my 4 HL's thanks lol. But ya, IB is right, there are actually a few people I've made contact with on this forum that are taking 5 HL's in IB, and some are in the US.

Are you sure your school won't let you? I mean, I'm sure they have the courses, they just probably don't want you overwhelmed so they say that you have to limit it. You should talk to the Head of IB at your school and find out.

Nice to see fellow IB students here! Good luck guys!

rocketboy said:
Which is a HUGE workload. I'm content with my 4 HL's thanks lol. But ya, IB is right, there are actually a few people I've made contact with on this forum that are taking 5 HL's in IB, and some are in the US.

Are you sure your school won't let you? I mean, I'm sure they have the courses, they just probably don't want you overwhelmed so they say that you have to limit it. You should talk to the Head of IB at your school and find out.

Nice to see fellow IB students here! Good luck guys!

Actually, rocketboy, I'm techincally taking 5 HL's over two years like those in Europea, too, but the only difference is that the 5th HL will not count on my diploma; it will count as a certificate. I'm really screwed up just on the first day. You must have seen that I've posted several posts asking for maths help in the homework help forum...

Technically I'm doing these subjects on diploma:
IBH A1 English
IBH A2 French
IBH History of Americas & World Hist (I wish I could take History of Europe instead)
IBH Chemistry (oh yeah, teacher said "if you could get a 7 on HL Chem, you can get an bachelor's degree in Chemistry with ease")
IBS Physics
IBS Maths Studies (my counsellor advised against my taking Maths Studies, but oh well, if you look at my certificates you'll know)

And these for certificates:
HL Physics (after taking IBS Physics first year, it's possible that I do Higher Level PHysics Year 2. That's cos the curriculum is the same, and first year HL is equivalent to SL)

Anyway, I'm checking the homework forum for a while and I'm out to work on my packet and then go to sleep. I'm too screwed even on the first day of school cos my IBS Physics teacher gave me a 10-paged maths review packet, IBH Chem teacher gave 20 pages of maths work in textbook(about (16 problems!), IBH History teacher loads of notes to read.

And I'm pretty sure the pressure will be much higher as I make more progress in the IB programme.

Ya it is certainly going to be a "fun" year. I'm taking HL Math, and my had my first class today. The teacher scared us all by saying "you will probably all fail some of my tests...I've had kids come in who have never failed anything every before and fail my tests. It builds character, I tend to build a lot of character."

We all just started and thought..."help us". But the teacher is really good and the class is one of my favorites. She also said that for this course, a 75% or greater mark on the IB exam will likely get you a 7, because it is so difficult. So I think it's good that her tests are going to be really hard, because it will prepare us for the exam.

Last year 66% of her class got a 7 on the IB HL math exam, so I'm confident in her teaching :approve:

Sorry for hijacking this thread. :tongue2:

Sorry i didn't know people did IB outside of Europe, I like IB and I would have preferred to do it to A-levels it goes into much more depth in physics and chemistry than the A-level syllabuses. But I found when looking at maths exam papers that IB maths was easier than A-level. Can you do further maths like at A-level as a separate subject in IB?

1. What are the general requirements for applying to a university for medicine?

The general requirements for applying to a university for medicine may vary slightly depending on the specific university, but typically include a high school diploma or equivalent, completion of prerequisite courses such as biology, chemistry, and physics, and satisfactory scores on standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT.

2. Do I need to have a specific major in order to apply to medical school?

While some universities may have specific majors that are recommended for pre-med students, it is not typically required to have a specific major in order to apply to medical school. It is important to take the necessary prerequisite courses and maintain a high GPA, regardless of your chosen major.

3. Are there any extracurricular activities that are particularly beneficial for medical school applications?

Extracurricular activities that demonstrate a strong interest in the medical field, such as volunteering at hospitals or shadowing physicians, can be beneficial for medical school applications. However, it is important to also have a well-rounded set of extracurricular activities that showcase your diverse interests and skills.

4. Is there a specific GPA or test score that is required for acceptance into medical school?

While there is no set minimum GPA or test score required for acceptance into medical school, it is important to have a strong academic record. Most medical schools have a competitive admissions process, so a high GPA and strong test scores can increase your chances of acceptance.

5. How can I stand out in my medical school application?

In addition to having a strong academic record, there are several ways to stand out in your medical school application. This can include participating in research projects, having a well-written personal statement, and obtaining strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to showcase your passion for the medical field and any unique experiences or skills you possess.