Unknown cretaceous fossil

• Thread starter DrDu
  • Start date
In summary, during a vacation, the speaker found a fossil in calcareous deposits from central Spain, which they believed to be from the upper Cretaceous period. The fossil had a shape resembling a porringer and porous structures on the outside, leading to speculation that it could be a coral or ammonite. However, after showing the pictures to a professional palaeontologist, it was identified as a sponge, likely from the group of hexactinellids.
DrDu
Science Advisor
Today, I found the following fossil in calcareous deposits from cental spain which are probably from the upper cretaceous. The little pores visible on the outside, make me think off a coral. What do you think?
15038551866751743981544.jpg
1503855294497-1315794350.jpg

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
DrDu said:
Today, I found the following fossil in calcareous deposits from cental spain which are probably from the upper cretaceous. The little pores visible on the outside, make me think off a coral. What do you think?View attachment 209879
that first image gave me a hint of an ammonite/nautiloid series fossil with the curved ridged structure ... very hard to tell
the second image with the porous structure ... just not enough detail/remains of the original animal

something along the lines of these fragments specially when looking at the top left sample

cc.jpg
cheers
Dave

Dear Dave,

just came back from vacations. The fossil is somewhat porringer shaped, which I do not expect from an ammonite. Also there is no helical structure.

Cheers

DrDu said:
porringer shaped, which I do not expect from an ammonite. Also there is no helical structure.
Bacculite?

The bowl shaped depression looks like one side of a bivalve shell.

Finally, I had the opportunity to show the pictures to a professional palaeontologist in a museum. He identified the fossil as a sponge, most probably from the group of hexactinellids.

Likes Asymptotic, davenn and jim mcnamara
Glad you got back to us with the answer.

DrDu said:
Finally, I had the opportunity to show the pictures to a professional palaeontologist in a museum. He identified the fossil as a sponge, most probably from the group of hexactinellids.
Thanks for the update :smile:

Dave

1. What is a "Unknown cretaceous fossil"?

An "Unknown cretaceous fossil" refers to a fossilized remains of an organism from the Cretaceous period, which lasted from approximately 145 to 66 million years ago. These fossils are often discovered by paleontologists and can provide valuable information about the ancient world.

2. How are "Unknown cretaceous fossils" formed?

"Unknown cretaceous fossils" are formed through a process called fossilization, where the remains of an organism are buried in sediment and over time, minerals replace the organic material, creating a replica of the original organism. This process can take millions of years to occur.

3. Where can "Unknown cretaceous fossils" be found?

"Unknown cretaceous fossils" can be found all over the world, as the Cretaceous period was a time of widespread biodiversity. They can be discovered in sedimentary rocks, such as shale, sandstone, and limestone, which were formed during this time period.

4. What can we learn from studying "Unknown cretaceous fossils"?

Studying "Unknown cretaceous fossils" can provide insights into the evolution of different species during the Cretaceous period, as well as the overall environment and climate during that time. These fossils can also help us understand how different species interacted and coexisted in ancient ecosystems.

5. Are "Unknown cretaceous fossils" important for scientific research?

Yes, "Unknown cretaceous fossils" are incredibly important for scientific research. They provide evidence of past life on Earth and can help us better understand the history of our planet and the processes that have shaped it. Additionally, studying these fossils can also have implications for our understanding of modern-day ecosystems and the impact of climate change on biodiversity.