Solving the Unknown in PDE: Finding u_B!

• Thread starter hermano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the flow between porous and impermeable materials using slip-flow boundary conditions. The solution includes an unknown variable, u_B, and the conversation suggests using an equation to eliminate it.
hermano
unknown in PDE!

Hi,

I'm solving a problem which determines the flow between a porous material and an impermeable material, using the slip-flow boundary conditions as proposed by Beavers and Joseph in '67. I can solve the whole problem as stated below, which gives the velocity [itex]u[/itex] of the fluid in the x-direction over the gap height (y-direction). However, in this equation I still have one unknown namely [itex]u_{B}[/itex] which is the slip velocity. How can I write this [itex]u_{B}[/itex] in function of the other variables so that this unknown disappear in my equation of [itex]u[/itex] ? A hint can maybe be enough!

Poiseuille motion:

[itex]\frac{d^2u}{dy^2} = \frac{1}{\mu}\frac{dP}{dx}[/itex]

boundary conditions:

1. [itex]u = 0[/itex] at [itex]y = h[/itex]

2. [itex]\frac{du}{dy} = \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{k}}u_{B}[/itex] at [itex]y = 0[/itex]

Solution of this PDE is:

[itex]u = \frac{1}{2\mu}\frac{dP}{dx}(y^2-h^2) + \frac{\alpha}{\sqrt{k}} u_{B} (y-h)[/itex]

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
As far as I see it, there is an equation ##u'=c\cdot u_B## which you can insert into your solution. This gives you an ordinary differential equation ##F(y,u,u')=0##.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is uB in the context of PDEs?

uB is the unknown function that we are trying to solve for in a PDE. It represents the solution to the equation and can be thought of as the dependent variable in relation to the other variables in the equation.

3. How do you solve a PDE to find uB?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, depending on the specific equation and its boundary conditions. Some common techniques include separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods.

4. What is the significance of finding uB in a PDE?

Finding uB allows us to understand and model the behavior of the physical system being described by the PDE. It can help us make predictions and solve practical problems related to the phenomena being studied.

5. Can PDEs be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, PDEs are widely used in various fields of science and engineering to model and solve real-world problems. They have applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and finance, among others.