1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unlimited resistors to build a 5 watt circuit with resistance of 10 ohms.

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    Okay well my issue is from a basic problem. The problem is you are given an unlimited number of 10 Ohm resistors. They can only handle 1 watt of dissipation and you need to create a circuit that has a total resistance of 10 Ohms, and has a power dissipation of 5 Watts. They are actually looking for the minimum number of resistors that are needed to create this process. So I was able to get that the minimum is 5 resistors but as that turns out it's not; it's actually 9 resistors. Apparently my answer is the maximum and 3 is the minimum and then it is squared. I get that part but not how they went from 5 resistors to 3 resistors.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Jonnyto! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook