Unlimited resistors to build a 5 watt circuit with resistance of 10 ohms.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where an unlimited number of 10 Ohm resistors with a power dissipation of 1 watt each need to be used to create a circuit with a total resistance of 10 Ohms and a power dissipation of 5 Watts. The minimum number of resistors needed is 5, but the correct answer is actually 3, as it is squared. More calculations are needed to understand how the answer was derived.
Jonnyto
Okay well my issue is from a basic problem. The problem is you are given an unlimited number of 10 Ohm resistors. They can only handle 1 watt of dissipation and you need to create a circuit that has a total resistance of 10 Ohms, and has a power dissipation of 5 Watts. They are actually looking for the minimum number of resistors that are needed to create this process. So I was able to get that the minimum is 5 resistors but as that turns out it's not; it's actually 9 resistors. Apparently my answer is the maximum and 3 is the minimum and then it is squared. I get that part but not how they went from 5 resistors to 3 resistors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jonnyto! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

1. How many resistors do I need to build a 5 watt circuit with resistance of 10 ohms?

You will need a total of five resistors to build a 5 watt circuit with a resistance of 10 ohms. This is because each resistor will have a resistance of 2 ohms, and when connected in series, they will add up to 10 ohms.

2. Can I use any type of resistor for this circuit?

Yes, as long as the individual resistors have a resistance of 2 ohms, you can use any type of resistor for this circuit. However, it is recommended to use resistors with similar wattage ratings to ensure the stability and efficiency of the circuit.

3. How do I connect the resistors in this circuit?

The resistors should be connected in series, meaning that the positive terminal of one resistor is connected to the negative terminal of the next resistor, and so on. The final resistor's negative terminal should be connected to the negative terminal of the power source, and the positive terminal of the first resistor should be connected to the positive terminal of the power source.

4. What is the total resistance of the circuit?

The total resistance of the circuit will be 10 ohms, as each resistor has a resistance of 2 ohms and they are connected in series. This means that the current flowing through the circuit will be 0.5 amps (5 watts/10 ohms = 0.5 amps).

5. How do I calculate the wattage of each individual resistor?

To calculate the wattage of each resistor, you can use the formula P = V²/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage, and R is resistance. Since the voltage across each resistor in this circuit will be the same, you can simply calculate the wattage of one resistor and multiply it by the total number of resistors. In this case, each resistor will have a wattage of 1 watt (5 watts/5 resistors = 1 watt).