Unmediated propulsion, at all possible?

Enrico Fermi asked the question. If it is possible for aliens to travel here, where are they?
Maybe they are being sneaky about it, that would be my input, some other people can talk about the technological and biogenetic reasons why they are not here or don't exist, what I would say is that civilizations may be very reluctant to expose their existence.

A civilization capable of interstellar journeys would have nothing to fear from us.
For one thing they would necessarily have to possess technology way beyond out present level just to make such travel even possible.
Secondly, a civilization of that kind would in all probability be a planet wide civilization, while here on Earth we are still at the stage of slightly different looking gangs fighting among ourselves over territory and resources, (or sometimes even over philosophy!)

A civilization capable of interstellar journeys would have nothing to fear from us.
For one thing they would necessarily have to possess technology way beyond out present level just to make such travel even possible.
Secondly, a civilization of that kind would in all probability be a planet wide civilization, while here on Earth we are still at the stage of slightly different looking gangs fighting among ourselves over territory and resources, (or sometimes even over philosophy!)
That is very true, humanity today is nothing to be feared by interstellar civilization, but even our primitive nuclear weapons can create cataclysmal alteration to the planet--a possible desired resource of the alien. In addition, human civilization and its science and technology has had an overall trend of exponential growth, whereas the alien civilization may be at the limit of their development, so it may be advisable for them to blow us out just in case. Then again, that is an exaggeratedly pessimistic point of view that even I am not entirely accepting.