Unraveling the Mystery of Photon Masslessness

In summary, according to E=mc^2, any normal object can't reach the speed of light because the energy of its motion increases its mass. However, it is said that objects with no mass (i.e. photons) travel at the speed of light. How is this possible? The answer is that their inertial mass (aka relativistic mass), which is defined as the ratio of the magnitude of the particle's momentum to the particle's speed, increases with increasing speed.
Kamataat
Hi!

I understand that according to E=mc^2 any normal object can't reach the speed of light because the energy of its motion increases its mass and thus you'd need an infinite amount of energy to reach c. However, it is said that objects with no mass (i.e. photons) travel at the speed of light. Why is it said that they have no mass? Isn't it true that even they have a rest mass (because their energy can never be zero even at rest according to the Heisenberg Uncertainity Principle)? If so, then how can they reach the speed of light if they have a mass like any other object or particle?

P.S. I know only high school mathematics and physics so please try to avoid anything more serious. I only want to get a simple explanation of the principles.

- Kamataat

Science news on Phys.org
Kamataat said:
I understand that according to E=mc^2 any normal object can't reach the speed of light because the energy of its motion increases its mass and thus you'd need an infinite amount of energy to reach c.
This is a topic which comes up quite often. The answer is that the inertial mass (aka relativistic mass), defined as the ratio of the magnitude of the particle's momentum to the particle's speed, increases with increasing speed and that the proper mass (aka rest mass) is not a function of speed. Different people use the term "mass" to refer to different things. Some use it to refer to inertial mass while others use it to refer to proper mass.
However, it is said that objects with no mass (i.e. photons) travel at the speed of light.
When they say that they are not referring to the particle's inertial mass, they are referring to the particle's proper mass, i.e. the one that is not a function of speed.
Isn't it true that even they have a rest mass (because their energy can never be zero even at rest according to the Heisenberg Uncertainity Principle)?
According to current observations, photons do not have rest mass. And it is incorrect to claim that the energy of a photon is zero. The energy of a photon is related to the photon's inertial mass m through E = mc2.

Pete

So photons don't have a proper mass, but do have an inertial mass? But if the inertial mass increases with speed, then how can a photon reach the speed of light?

- Kamataat

Kamataat said:
So photons don't have a proper mass, but do have an inertial mass? But if the inertial mass increases with speed, then how can a photon reach the speed of light?

- Kamataat
The inertial mass is a function of speed only for tardyons and not for luxons. A tardyon is defined as a particle that always moves with a speed v < c whereas luxon is defined as a particle that always moves with speed v = c (To be complete: A tachyon is defined as a particle which always moves with speed v > c). Therefore, since relativitiy tells us that photons always travel at the same speed, c, the inertial mass of a photon is not a function of speed.

Pete

Obviously, particles that have only rest mass or only inertial have their own catogory of matter?, how are they diffrent?

Mk said:
Obviously, particles that have only rest mass or only inertial have their own catogory of matter?, how are they diffrent?

Oooops, I ment:

obviously, particles that have only rest mass or only inertial don't have their own category of matter. How are they diffrent than stuff that has both?

By the way, is dark matter if it exists another form of matter? The diffrent forms of matter differ in how much empty space is in it and the density of the empty space. Right or no right so far? Is it the bonds, how long the chains are? Where do you draw the line between the diffrent types of matter? Is there a list or system or something where, it says where you draw the line, between the now 7 types of matter? I guess I just want to know how they are diffrent past all the, solids hold their shape stuff

-A confused person all of a sudden :confused: :cry:

Muy big thanks :)

I believe the equation for proper massless particles looks like this: [tex]E^2={m^2}{c^4}+{p^2}{c^2}[/tex]where p=momentum
This formula is used in x-ray and gamma ray astrophysics.
Obviously if the particle were at rest, p=0, which would bring you back to [tex]E=mc^2[/tex]

Paden Roder

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of Photon Masslessness

1. What is a photon and why is it considered massless?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries electromagnetic energy. It is considered massless because it has no rest mass and travels at the speed of light, according to the theory of relativity.

2. If a photon has no mass, does it mean it has no energy?

No, a photon still has energy despite being massless. Its energy is directly proportional to its frequency, which determines its color or wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum.

3. Is there any evidence that supports the idea of photon masslessness?

Yes, there is overwhelming evidence from experiments and observations that support the idea of photon masslessness. For example, the behavior of photons in the famous double-slit experiment can only be explained by their masslessness.

4. Is there any ongoing research or theories about the possibility of photon mass?

Yes, there are ongoing research and theories exploring the possibility of photon mass. Some theories suggest that photons may acquire a small mass through interactions with other particles, but this is still a subject of debate and further investigation.

5. How does the concept of photon masslessness impact our understanding of the universe?

The idea of photon masslessness is crucial in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It helps explain many phenomena, such as the behavior of light and the stability of atoms. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in the study of relativity and quantum mechanics, which are essential theories for understanding the universe at a fundamental level.