Unraveling the Quantum Eraser Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum eraser experiment, where photons are split into identical twins and sent through a double slit. The experiment involves placing detectors behind the slits and another set of detectors behind them. The question is raised about how to determine which photon at the "wall" is the twin of which photon in the detectors. It is explained that this is determined by the timing of the photons and the recorded data from the detectors. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in understanding the experiment and provides a link to a similar experiment by Kim et al. Overall, the experiment is described as a way to examine the interference pattern of photons and how they behave in pairs.
Tonyant
hi guys, I'm new to this beautiful forum and i signed up to ask a question that drives me nuts for weeks. I am german so my english sucks but, i learned about this experiment with the quantum eraser. basically the experiment goes like this. you shoot photons through a double slit and behind the slits you have a crystal that splits them in 2 identical twins. one twin goes at a wall where the pattern will be seen the other goes to a detector. of course when one twin photon is detected the other one looses its wavefunction. so far so quantum weird. now you put 2 more detectors behind the 2 first ones and the photon has a 50% chance to hit those instead of the 2 first ones. the second detectors are build up so that you can't say what slit the photon took. so whenever a photon hits the first detector it's twin has no wave function whenever the photon hits the second detector the photon does have a wavefunction and an interference pattern emerges. my question is how do we know which photon at the "wall" is the twin of which photon in the detectors? and even more important why was there no experiment with only the 2. pair of detectors?`everytime i research it the experiment is build that half the photons are detected and half not. than people say the photons that got detected formed a clunk pattern while the photons that went to the second detector formed an interference pattern. but how can you tell which photon belonged to which twin? :D :D
i'm confused and i can't find it on google because i only find articles about how weird the whole thing is.
well thanks for reading it's probably a stupid question i know :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You are thinking abouy Kim's experiment? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser#The_experiment_of_Kim_et_al._.282000.29
Tonyant said:
my question is how do we know which photon at the "wall" is the twin of which photon in the detectors?
If a photon arrives at what you're calling "the wall" at the same time that one of the four detectors was triggered by another photon, we assume they are twins. This works because the rate at which pairs are created is small enough that there is usually only pair of photons in the apparatus at a time.

It is also important to understand that there is no "wall" on which a visible interference pattern is formed. Instead, there is a detector that is moved back and forth across the path of the first photon. Whenever that detector is triggered, we record its position and whether its twin had triggered the "we know which slit" or the"we don't know which slit" pair of detectors. We're looking for areas where that detector is more or less likely to be triggered at the same time that one or the other of our two pairs of detectors is triggered, and that only becomes apparent when we've looked through the recorded data after the experiment has run for a while.

Tonyant said:
i learned about this experiment with the quantum eraser...

:welcome:

The quantum eraser is one of the most difficult to understand. There are numerous variations on it, Nugatory has linked you to one of the best.

Key is to recognize, as he says, that it takes information from 2 photons to "see" the interference pattern. Looking at one side or the other does not appear unusual.

Nugatory said:
You are thinking abouy Kim's experiment? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_choice_quantum_eraser#The_experiment_of_Kim_et_al._.282000.29

If a photon arrives at what you're calling "the wall" at the same time that one of the four detectors was triggered by another photon, we assume they are twins. This works because the rate at which pairs are created is small enough that there is usually only pair of photons in the apparatus at a time.

It is also important to understand that there is no "wall" on which a visible interference pattern is formed. Instead, there is a detector that is moved back and forth across the path of the first photon. Whenever that detector is triggered, we record its position and whether its twin had triggered the "we know which slit" or the"we don't know which slit" pair of detectors. We're looking for areas where that detector is more or less likely to be triggered at the same time that one or the other of our two pairs of detectors is triggered, and that only becomes apparent when we've looked through the recorded data after the experiment has run for a while.
thanks a lot for you answer :) i guess because the photon arives at "the wall" earlier than at the detectors (to measure if the information travels back in time) i haven't though about the timing. do they just calculate the difference in?

Tonyant said:
i haven't though about the timing. do they just calculate the difference in?
Yes.

ahhh, I'm stupid. the photons arive one at a time, of course you know which one is which one lol

1. What is the Quantum Eraser Mystery?

The Quantum Eraser Mystery refers to a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the act of observing or measuring a particle can affect its behavior, even if the observation is made after the particle has already passed through a series of detectors.

2. How does the Quantum Eraser Mystery challenge our understanding of reality?

The Quantum Eraser Mystery challenges our understanding of reality because it suggests that the behavior of particles is not predetermined and can be influenced by the act of observation. This goes against classical physics, which assumes that the behavior of particles is determined by their initial conditions.

3. What is the role of the double-slit experiment in the Quantum Eraser Mystery?

The double-slit experiment is often used to demonstrate the Quantum Eraser Mystery. In this experiment, a single particle is fired at a barrier with two slits, resulting in an interference pattern on a screen behind the barrier. However, when detectors are placed at the slits to determine which slit the particle goes through, the interference pattern disappears. This shows that the act of observation can affect the behavior of particles.

4. How does the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment shed light on the Quantum Eraser Mystery?

The delayed choice quantum eraser experiment involves placing detectors at the slits in the double-slit experiment, but then adding a second set of detectors after the particle has passed through the slits. This second set of detectors allows us to "erase" the information about which slit the particle went through, thus restoring the interference pattern. This shows that the information about the particle's behavior can be changed retroactively, further complicating our understanding of reality.

5. What are the implications of the Quantum Eraser Mystery for technology and future scientific discoveries?

The Quantum Eraser Mystery has implications for technology and future scientific discoveries because it challenges our understanding of causality and determinism. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and communication, where the ability to manipulate and control the behavior of particles can lead to advancements in these fields.