Unrolling of Paper (Torque/Rotational Motion)

In summary: Hi kritzy! :wink:In summary, the radius of the roll of paper is 7.9cm and its moment of inertia is I=3.1×10−3 kg m^2. A force of 2.3 N is exerted on the end of the roll for 1.3 s, but the paper does not tear so it begins to unroll. A constant friction torque of 0.13 mN is exerted on the roll which gradually brings it to a stop.
kritzy
1. The radius of the roll of paper is 7.9cm and its moment of inertia is I= 3.1×10−3 kg m^2 . A force of 2.3 N is exerted on the end of the roll for 1.3 s, but the paper does not tear so it begins to unroll. A constant friction torque of 0.13 mN is exerted on the roll which gradually brings it to a stop. (Part A)Assuming that the paper's thickness is negligible, calculate the length of paper that unrolls during the time that the force is applied (1.3s). (Part B)Assuming that the paper's thickness is negligible, calculate the length of paper that unrolls from the time the force ends to the time when the roll has stopped moving.

2.Relevant Equations
[tex]\tau[/tex]=RF
[tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
a=R[tex]\alpha[/tex]
x=[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at[tex]^{2}[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

I don't understand torque and rotational motion very much but here's my attempt.
(Part A) Since they give a force, I found the torque.
[tex]\tau[/tex]=RF
(.079)(2.3)=.1817
Then I find the sum of torques.
.1817-.13=.0517
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\Sigma\tau}{I}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=.0517/.0031=16.6
a=R[tex]\alpha[/tex]=(16.6)(.079)=1.3
x=.5at^2=(.5)(1.3)(1.3)^2=1.0985
I don't think that's right. Unfortunately, I don't understand Part B either. Can somebody please lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

kritzy said:
(Part A) Since they give a force, I found the torque.
[tex]\tau[/tex]=RF
(.079)(2.3)=.1817
Then I find the sum of torques.
.1817-.13=.0517
[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\frac{\Sigma\tau}{I}[/tex]
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=.0517/.0031=16.6
a=R[tex]\alpha[/tex]=(16.6)(.079)=1.3
x=.5at^2=(.5)(1.3)(1.3)^2=1.0985
I don't think that's right. Unfortunately, I don't understand Part B either. Can somebody please lead me in the right direction?

Hi kritzy ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a tau: τ and an alpha: α and a sigma: ∑ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your Part A looks ok to me … what's worrying you about it?

For Part B, first calculate the velocity (or angular velocity) when the 2.3N stops, then use the new (negative) acceleration in the appropriate constant acceleration equation to find the distance until the velocity is zero :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kritzy ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a tau: τ and an alpha: α and a sigma: ∑ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your Part A looks ok to me … what's worrying you about it?

For Part B, first calculate the velocity (or angular velocity) when the 2.3N stops, then use the new (negative) acceleration in the appropriate constant acceleration equation to find the distance until the velocity is zero :wink:

I understand now! Thank you for your help. I thought my answer for part A was wrong so I was too scared to submit it. But it worked out okay. By the way, how do I mark the thread as solved? Thanks again.

kritzy said:
I understand now! Thank you for your help. I thought my answer for part A was wrong so I was too scared to submit it. But it worked out okay. By the way, how do I mark the thread as solved? Thanks again.

Hi kritzy! :wink:

The "solved" facility disappeared during the Great Server Update of '08. :biggrin:

I'm glad it all worked out.

See you around. :smile:

1. What is the unrolling of paper?

The unrolling of paper refers to the process of removing paper from a roll in a controlled manner, typically by pulling one end of the roll while the other end remains fixed.

2. What is the purpose of studying the unrolling of paper?

The study of the unrolling of paper can provide insights into the behavior of materials under torque and rotational motion, as well as practical applications in industries such as printing and packaging.

3. How does torque affect the unrolling of paper?

Torque, or the force applied to rotate an object, plays a crucial role in the unrolling of paper. Increasing torque can cause the paper to unroll faster, while decreasing torque can slow down the unrolling process.

4. What factors can affect the unrolling of paper?

The unrolling of paper can be affected by various factors, including the thickness and type of paper, the diameter and stiffness of the roll, and the amount of torque applied.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the unrolling of paper?

The study of the unrolling of paper has practical applications in industries such as printing, packaging, and manufacturing, where controlling the speed and tension of unrolling paper is important for quality and efficiency. It can also be applied to other materials that unroll in a similar manner, such as plastic films and fabrics.