Finding the Normal Force on the Rod of a Paper Roll

In summary, the paper roll unrolls because the rod exerts a force of 250.3391 N on it. The angular acceleration of the roll is also 31.292 N/s.
student34

Homework Statement

A large 16.0 kg roll of paper with radius R=18.0 cm rests against the wall and is held in place by a bracket attached to a rod through the center of the roll. The rod turns without friction in the bracket, and the moment of inertia of the paper and rod about the axis is 0.260 kg m^2. The other end of the bracket is attached by a frictionless hinge to the wall such that the bracket makes an angle of 30.0° with the wall. The weight of the bracket is negligible. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the paper and the wall is μ= 0.25. A constant vertical force F= 60.0 N is applied to the paper, and the paper unrolls.

(a) What is the magnitude of the force that the rod exerts on the paper as it unrolls?

(b) What is the magnitude of the angular acceleration of the roll?

Here is a picture of that someone else found for the same question, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=544377

Homework Equations

∑Fy = 0

∑Fx = 0

F(reaction) - Tension = 0, so F(rod) = T

F(friction) = μfx(normal)

The Attempt at a Solution

I will try part (a), but this attempt gives me the wrong answer.

∑Fy = T*cos30° - (mg + 60N) = 0

T = (mg + 60N)/cos30° = (16*9.8 + 60N)/cos°30 = 250.3391N

T = F(rod) = 250.3391N.

But the answer is 293N.

I probably need to use the friction, but I don't understand why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you will draw a proper free body diagram for the paper roll, it should be apparent what forces are used to solve this problem.

SteamKing said:
If you will draw a proper free body diagram for the paper roll, it should be apparent what forces are used to solve this problem.

My work that I have shown above comes from free body diagrams that I made.

I have drawn 3 different free body diagrams and spent about 5 hours on this question in total. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you post your FBDs?

SteamKing said:
Can you post your FBDs?

Here is an attachment.

Attachments

• Free Body Diagram.JPG
    Free Body Diagram.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 688
There is going to be a frictional force developed between the wall and the paper roll, which will retard the unrolling of the paper. This frictional force should be included in your FBD.

SteamKing said:
There is going to be a frictional force developed between the wall and the paper roll, which will retard the unrolling of the paper. This frictional force should be included in your FBD.

I did have a strong feeling that the Ff would have an effect, but I still don't know why. I thought of a case where μ = 1 so that the roll wouldn't even spin versus the case where μ = 0. Both cases seem to have the same effect on the center of mass where the rod is.

It's wrong, but I will show what I did with friction.

μ*T*sin30° = 0.25*250.339N*sin30° = 31.292N. I will assume that this adds to the ∑Fy. So now,

∑Fy = T*cos30° + (-31.292N) - (mg + 60N) = 0

T = 286.47N, which is close but not quite enough.

Can anyone see anything wrong with my last post?

student34 said:
μ*T*sin30° = 0.25*250.339N*sin30° = 31.292N. I will assume that this adds to the ∑Fy. So now,
You can't plug in a value for T here. T is what you're trying to calculate. Work it all the way through symbolically. Don't plug in any numbers until you have an equation in the form T = ...

haruspex said:
You can't plug in a value for T here. T is what you're trying to calculate. Work it all the way through symbolically. Don't plug in any numbers until you have an equation in the form T = ...

Oh thanks, I got it!

1. What is the normal force on the rod of a paper roll?

The normal force on the rod of a paper roll is the force that the rod exerts on the paper roll in a direction perpendicular to the surface it is resting on. It is equal in magnitude to the weight of the paper roll and acts to support the weight of the roll.

2. How is the normal force on the rod of a paper roll calculated?

The normal force on the rod of a paper roll can be calculated using the formula FN = m * g, where m is the mass of the paper roll and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2). This is because the normal force is equal to the weight of the object, which is its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the normal force on the rod of a paper roll?

The normal force on the rod of a paper roll is affected by the weight of the paper roll, the surface it is resting on, and any external forces acting on the roll (such as a hand pushing down on it). The angle at which the roll is resting on the surface can also affect the normal force.

4. Why is the normal force important to consider when working with paper rolls?

The normal force is important to consider when working with paper rolls because it affects the stability and balance of the roll. If the normal force is not enough to support the weight of the roll, it may tip or roll off the surface it is resting on. Understanding the normal force can also help with proper handling and storage of paper rolls to prevent damage or accidents.

5. How does the normal force on the rod of a paper roll change when the roll is unrolling?

As the paper roll unrolls, the normal force on the rod will decrease. This is because the weight of the paper on the roll is decreasing, resulting in a decrease in the overall weight of the roll. However, the normal force will still act to support the weight of the remaining paper on the roll, so it will never reach zero unless the roll becomes completely empty.