Understanding Stability Conditions for Unsymmetric Optical Resonators

In summary, unsymmetric optical resonators are laser cavities with unequal mirrors that can produce asymmetric optical modes. The stability of these resonators is determined by the position and reflectivity of the mirrors, as well as the beam width and wavelength of the light. The stability conditions are classified into three regions: stable, unstable, and marginally stable. Stable resonators have a well-defined beam shape and can produce a single-mode output, while unstable resonators have a complex beam profile and produce multiple modes. Marginally stable resonators fall in between these two categories, with a beam profile that can vary depending on the parameters. Understanding the stability conditions for unsymmetric optical resonators is crucial for optimizing their performance in various applications, such as laser beam
hideelo
I am trying to understand the conditions for an optical resonator with unsymmetric reflectors, i.e. the focal lengths of the two reflectors are different. According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_cavity#Stability) 0 < (1 - L/R1)(1 - L/R2) < 1 is the equation that will guarantee stability and they say that this can be derived from ray matrix transfer analysis but when I try to do it (I'm assuming it's an eigenvalue problem) I keep getting these long intricate conditions that don't at all resemble this simple result.

1) Are there any conditions on the system that need to be put in?
2) is there anywhere that goes through this derivation step by step?

TIA

Edit: Sorry I didnt capitalize the thread title, I noticed it after I posted and can't seem to change it

Science news on Phys.org
I guess what I was looking for is in the first one, but the part m looking for is exactly where he says that he will skip the details :-( . As far as what I meant by unsymmetric, I explain that in the first sentence. I mean a system where the two reflectors have different focal lengths.

1. What is an unsymmetric optical resonator?

An unsymmetric optical resonator is a type of optical cavity that is characterized by having unequal distances between the mirrors on either side. This results in a non-symmetric shape of the cavity, which can affect the properties of the light that is trapped inside.

2. How does an unsymmetric optical resonator differ from a symmetric one?

In a symmetric optical resonator, the distances between the mirrors on either side are equal, resulting in a symmetrical shape of the cavity. This can have different effects on the behavior of the light, such as the formation of standing waves or the generation of higher-order modes.

3. What are the applications of unsymmetric optical resonators?

Unsymmetric optical resonators are commonly used in laser systems, where they can improve the beam quality and output power of the laser. They are also used in optical sensors, optical communications, and other applications where precise control of the light is required.

4. How is the performance of an unsymmetric optical resonator characterized?

The performance of an unsymmetric optical resonator is typically characterized by measuring its output power, beam quality, and mode structure. The shape and alignment of the mirrors can also affect the performance, so these parameters are also carefully controlled and measured.

5. What are the challenges in designing and using unsymmetric optical resonators?

One of the main challenges in designing and using unsymmetric optical resonators is the precise control and alignment of the mirrors, as any small deviations can significantly affect the performance. Another challenge is the complexity of the optical designs and calculations required to optimize the performance of the resonator for a specific application.