Unusual Questions

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Two reasons: The primary one has been covered, but there is another. Manhole covers are VERY heavy, but once you have pried one up and tipped it on its edge it is pretty easy to roll on decent pavement.
You're also forgetting that the men climbing down into them are often more round than any other shape too. :biggrin:

Sorry, man... I didn't realize that you were speaking from personal experience. No offense intended.
Not at all. No offense taken.

A Reuleaux triangle also works (and might be what you were thinking of?).
I stand corrected.

Round manholes usually connect to a 'round' type of piping system, like a sewer. ---and economics, the round tubes (that they climb down) are cheaper to build and it would be more expensive to transition back to a square opening. Square covers usually access square structures and tunnels.

NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Aside from the rolling and round hole arguments, there's also the fact that circles provide the most area per diameter, which means that circular manhole covers give the largest area for a particular amount of material (weight) and strength requirement.

Round manhole covers don't have to be twisted into alignment.

Round covers don't have any corners where stuff could more easily leak or they're more likely to wear out, or catch on something.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So if you buy a toilet with a round seat, you don't have to worry about putting the seat and lid down, right? :uhh:

Men don't leave the manhole covers up, do they?

So if you buy a toilet with a round seat, you don't have to worry about putting the seat and lid down, right? :uhh:

and don't put anything square in them---use round TP from now on---or at least round the squares before you throw them in

Last edited:
You're also forgetting that the men climbing down into them are often more round than any other shape too. :biggrin:
Women should be climbing down there then (they definitely have more rounded forms)--hubba hubba

This is all very informative, but none of it explains why hollywood boulevard has so many manhole covers in the shape of stars.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Just to be sure this thread isn't locked for violating forum rules about changing light bulbs, I have a link essential to this subject:

Manhole Covers of the World

I especially like the bright red disclaimer, "I DO NOT SELL MANHOLE COVERS!"

Too bad he never travelled to http://www.drainspotting.com/mirror/nhtelegraph-2003-11-26/ [Broken]. Their manhole covers are triangular and point in the direction that the sewage or drainage should be flowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
gaelic-manhole.jpg

I want one of these to hang on the wall.

(shoot!--I should have put that in the "ART" thread)

Last edited:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
gaelic-manhole.jpg

I want one of these to hang on the wall.

(shoot!--I should have put that in the "ART" thread)
That one will get stolen, for sure.

There were 24,000 manhole covers stolen in Beijing in 2004. Manhole cover theft should add a little extra excitement to the 2008 Olympic Marathon (as if it wasn't exciting enough).

There were 24,000 manhole covers stolen in Beijing in 2004.
They got tired of lifting the door to where they live?

Speaking of manhole covers, why do beer steins have covers?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Too bad he never travelled to http://www.drainspotting.com/mirror/nhtelegraph-2003-11-26/ [Broken]. Their manhole covers are triangular and point in the direction that the sewage or drainage should be flowing.
Which point? :uhh:

To keep the beer from escaping, of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
probably for the same reasons

Danger
Gold Member
Just to be sure this thread isn't locked for violating forum rules about changing light bulbs
One good thing about it is, this thread can't be derailed because I didn't lay down any tracks to start with. :biggrin:

you can get beer steins out with bleach but rinse well afterwards with Jack Daniels

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
you can get beer steins out with bleach but rinse well afterwards with Jack Daniels
No, no, no! Beer then liquor, never sicker! No JD after beer.

turbo
Gold Member
Are you sure? "Whiskey on beer, never fear." Once you have a load of ethanol in your system, it might be a really bad idea to introduce beer (a diuretic that can speed the processing of that load).

is that it? I thought it was 'Beer then liquor, always quicker'-----now I know why I got sicker quicker

Danger
Gold Member
Where's a 'pounding my head in regret' smilie when I really need one?

By the way, W hates House. (I'm too lazy to go back to the other thread to post that.)

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you sure? "Whiskey on beer, never fear." Once you have a load of ethanol in your system, it might be a really bad idea to introduce beer (a diuretic that can speed the processing of that load).
It's liquor THEN beer, never fear. You have to get the order right. (All alcohol is a diuretic...I think it's more that once you're already drunk enough on beer to think doing shots is a good idea that its not a good time to start taking your alcohol in more concentrated form.)

As I read the other thread on going green, I'm wondering, "Why green?" So much of the "green" movement is to protect air quality, why not blue? I'd rather avoid turning my sky green; rather bad things come with green skies. :uhh: