Graph of $y=\sin{x}-2$ on the domain $[0,2\pi]$

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, to graph the equation $y=\sin{x}-2$ on the domain $[0,2\pi]$, we can observe that the sine function goes through the origin at $x=0$ and has a period of $2\pi$. The amplitude is equal to $1$ and the phase shift is $0$. To graph, we can simply shift the graph of $y=\sin{x}$ down $2$ units. The equation can be rewritten as $y=\sin{x}-2$, with $A=1$, $PS=0$, and $B=-2$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Graph $y=\sin{x}-2$ on the domain $[0,2\pi]$
This is a sample math problem in preparation for the entrance exam for the USAF Academy
Even not asked I thot also the Period, Amplitude, PS and list some observations that should be know to graph without an app

1. we know that sin(0)=0 so sin(x) goes thru origin

$Y_{sin}=A\sin\left[\omega\left(x-\dfrac{\phi}{\omega} \right) \right]+B
\implies A\sin\left(\omega x-\phi \right)+B$
A=Amplitude B=Vertical Shift
T=Period= $\quad\dfrac{2\pi}{\omega}$
PS=Phase Shift $\quad\dfrac{\phi}{\omega}$
ok this get ? at times
and,,,,,

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$y = \sin{x} - 2$

just shift $y=\sin{x}$ down 2 units … why are you making it more complicated than necessary?

skeeter said:
$y = \sin{x} - 2$

just shift $y=\sin{x}$ down 2 units … why are you making it more complicated than necessary?
well I know this is a very simple one but I get confused on PS and T
A and VS are easy

$A\sin\left(\omega x-\phi \right)+B\implies (1)\sin\left((1) x-(0) \right)+(-2)$

$T=\dfrac{2\pi}{1}=2\pi$
$PS=\quad\dfrac{0}{1}=0$

Last edited:

1. What does the graph of y=sin(x)-2 represent?

The graph of y=sin(x)-2 represents a sine wave shifted downwards by 2 units. It is a periodic function with a period of 2π and an amplitude of 1.

2. How can I graph y=sin(x)-2?

To graph y=sin(x)-2, you can plot points by substituting different values for x into the equation and then connect the points with a smooth curve. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph.

3. What is the domain and range of y=sin(x)-2?

The domain of y=sin(x)-2 is all real numbers, since there are no restrictions on the values of x. The range is from -3 to 1, since the lowest value of sin(x)-2 is -3 and the highest value is 1.

4. How does changing the value of the coefficient in front of sin(x) affect the graph?

Changing the coefficient in front of sin(x) will affect the amplitude of the graph. A larger coefficient will result in a larger amplitude, while a smaller coefficient will result in a smaller amplitude.

5. What is the period of y=sin(x)-2?

The period of y=sin(x)-2 is 2π, which means that the graph repeats itself every 2π units along the x-axis. This is the same for all sine functions, regardless of any shifts or coefficients.