Use a graph to show the region defined by these 2 inequalities

In summary, the conversation is about using a sketch graph to show the region defined by the inequalities y<2 and y>x. The individual is unsure about how to plot y>x but receives a hint to plot the line y=x. After some clarification, they understand that the graph would show a diagonal line and thank the person for their help.
evosy1978

Homework Statement

Use a sketch graph to show the region defined by y<2 and y>x

The Attempt at a Solution

y<2 is easy as its anything below y=2...

but I am totally stuck on y>x.. How can I know what y is if i don't know what x is??

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
evosy1978 said:

Homework Statement

Use a sketch graph to show the region defined by y<2 and y>x

The Attempt at a Solution

y<2 is easy as its anything below y=2...

but I am totally stuck on y>x.. How can I know what y is if i don't know what x is??

thanks for any help

Hint -- plot the line y=x...

oh man of course it is... because its a linear eqaution right?

so if it were y>x-2

you would plot y=x-2

and the same as y>x

you would ploy y=x

so that's diagonal 1234567 etc...

thanks

evosy1978 said:
oh man of course it is... because its a linear eqaution right?

so if it were y>x-2

you would plot y=x-2

and the same as y>x

you would ploy y=x

so that's diagonal 1234567 etc...

thanks

:biggrin:

FAQ: Use a graph to show the region defined by these 2 inequalities

1. What is a graph?

A graph is a visual representation of data or information using lines, bars, or other symbols to show the relationship between different variables.

2. How do I plot a graph?

To plot a graph, you will need to choose a scale for each axis and then plot each point on the graph according to the coordinates given in the data. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the graph for you.

3. What is a region in a graph?

In a graph, a region is a specific area between two or more lines or curves. It is often shaded in a different color to represent a specific set of data or conditions.

4. How do I interpret a graph with inequalities?

A graph with inequalities represents a shaded region on the graph that satisfies the given inequalities. The shaded region includes all points that make the inequalities true, and any point outside the shaded region does not satisfy the inequalities.

5. Can I use a graph to solve inequalities?

Yes, a graph can be a helpful tool in solving inequalities. By visually representing the solution as a shaded region, it can be easier to identify the values that satisfy the inequalities and find the solution.

Back