Use Green's theorem to evaluate the line integral

In summary, the conversation discusses using Green's theorem to evaluate a line integral along the graph of y=x^3 from (0,0) to (1,1) and from (1,1) to (0,0) along the graph of y=x. The initial attempt at solving the integral involved two separate integrals along the two paths, but it was later realized that Green's theorem could be used instead. The correct solution using Green's theorem is given as 1/4.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

Use Green's theorem to evaluate the line integral:

∫y3 dx + (x3 + 3xy2) dy

where C is the path along the graph of y=x3 from (0,0) to (1,1) and from (1,1) to (0,0) along the graph of y=x.

2. The attempt at a solution

I've completed two integrals for both paths (y=x3 & y=x).

My first integration: ∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] (x9 + 3x6 + 3x6y6) dx

And for my second: ∫[itex]^{0}_{1}[/itex] (1 + x3 + 3x) dx

Then I combined the two, making sure I changed the signs of the second integral to change my limits.

∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] (x9 + 3x6 + 3x6y6) dx - ∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex] (-1 - x3 - 3x) dx

I believe that all I have to do now is simple integration? Is my work, so far, okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that I was not supposed to have a "y" in my integral.
Also found some more errors!

1st Integration
I believe the function to integrate should be: 10x9+3x6 dx

Last edited:
aaronfue said:
I just realized that I was not supposed to have a "y" in my integral.
Also found some more errors!

1st Integration
I believe the function to integrate should be: 10x9+3x6 dx

You are getting closer, but that's still not right. Can you show how you got that? And what you are doing is just computing the path integrals. That's good and you should do it. But that's not doing it using Green's theorem.

Dick said:
You are getting closer, but that's still not right. Can you show how you got that? And what you are doing is just computing the path integrals. That's good and you should do it. But that's not doing it using Green's theorem.

I was able to solve this problem using Green's Theorem (I hope):

First:
[itex]\frac{∂N}{∂x}[/itex] = 3x2 + 3y2

[itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y}[/itex]= 3y2

Second:
Using the equation: ∫R∫ ([itex]\frac{∂N}{∂x}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y}[/itex]) dA

∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{x}_{x^3}[/itex] (3x2 + 3y2)-(3y2) dydx

My answer was [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]

aaronfue said:
I was able to solve this problem using Green's Theorem (I hope):

First:
[itex]\frac{∂N}{∂x}[/itex] = 3x2 + 3y2

[itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y}[/itex]= 3y2

Second:
Using the equation: ∫R∫ ([itex]\frac{∂N}{∂x}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{∂M}{∂y}[/itex]) dA

∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{x}_{x^3}[/itex] (3x2 + 3y2)-(3y2) dydx

My answer was [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]

Yes, that's exactly right. It wouldn't hurt to check that's right using the path integrals. Can you do that, since it's the route you started? I kind of think the error you were making in post 2 was x^2*x^3=x^5. Not x^6.

Last edited:

1. What is Green's theorem?

Green's theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is named after the mathematician George Green.

2. How is Green's theorem used?

Green's theorem is commonly used to evaluate line integrals over closed curves in two-dimensional space. It can also be used to solve problems related to areas and volumes, as the double integral in the theorem represents the area under the curve.

3. What are the conditions for using Green's theorem?

In order to use Green's theorem, the region enclosed by the closed curve must be simply connected, meaning that there are no holes or gaps in the region. The vector field must also be continuous and have continuous partial derivatives in the region.

4. What is the formula for applying Green's theorem?

The formula for applying Green's theorem is:
C Pdx + Qdy = ∬R ( ∂Q/∂x - ∂P/∂y ) dA
where P and Q are the components of the vector field, C is the closed curve, and R is the region enclosed by the curve.

5. Can Green's theorem be used for three-dimensional problems?

No, Green's theorem can only be applied to two-dimensional problems. For three-dimensional problems, the related theorems of Stokes' theorem and the Divergence theorem can be used instead.