Use induction in a non standard way

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem or proof that the individual is struggling with. They have proven certain steps and have a finite number of steps to complete, but are having difficulty presenting it in a rigorous manner. They also express feeling guilty for asking for help and not wanting to cheat. A possible suggestion is to present the proof with "dot-dot-dot" notation, but it is not allowed. The conversation also includes a mathematical statement and a request to prove that x exists and is a natural number.
Dmobb Jr.
So I have to do an induction but I am not quite sure how to set it up. I have already proven that at each step I have either my intended result or I can advance one more step. I have also proven that there are a finite number of steps.

Intuitively I have essentially completed the proof. I just can't figure out how to present this in a way that is completely rigorous.

I get the feeling that "Well there can only be finitely many steps so eventually it will happen" is not good enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how anyone can suggest anything when what you are trying to do is so vague.

Well I feel a little bit guilty for even posting a homework question at all (It's cheeting). So I am not going to post specifics. I will clarify certain things if people have questions. I think that someone could figure this out with the information I have given. If not then I will just have to figure it out myself which is what I should be doing anyway.

Sounds like a good "dot-dot-dot" proof, but maybe your professor doesn't like those. I.e. show the process of a couple steps, then "dot-dot-dot", then show the final step!

No, I was going to ask questions but this is so vague, it isn't in the ballpark of meaning anything.

Yeah i wish I could dot dot dot this one but that's definitely not allowed. I reallized that I had messed up at an earlier part of this problem anyway. Thanks though.

@verty While what I said was not 100% rigourus I could easily make it that way.

For all natural numbers n, if x is not [itex]\geq[/itex] n, then x < n. Also there exists Y[itex]\in[/itex]N such that x [itex]\leq[/itex] Y.

Prove that x exists and is a natural number.

Edit: We must assume x is a natural number not prove it.

Last edited:

1. What is induction and how is it typically used in science?

Induction is a method of reasoning in which a general rule or principle is inferred from specific instances or observations. It is commonly used in science to develop theories and make predictions based on empirical data.

2. How can induction be used in a non-standard way?

Induction can be used in a non-standard way by applying it to unconventional or non-traditional data sets or by using it to draw conclusions that are not typically made with this method. This could involve using creative thinking or making connections between seemingly unrelated observations.

3. What are some benefits of using induction in a non-standard way?

Using induction in a non-standard way can lead to new and innovative ideas and theories that may not have been discovered through traditional methods. It can also help expand our understanding of the world and challenge conventional ways of thinking.

4. Are there any risks or limitations to using induction in a non-standard way?

As with any scientific method, there are potential risks and limitations to using induction in a non-standard way. It may lead to incorrect or biased conclusions if not used carefully and critically. Additionally, unconventional use of induction may not be widely accepted by the scientific community until it is backed up by further evidence and research.

5. Can induction be used in a non-standard way in all scientific fields?

Yes, induction can be applied in a non-standard way in any scientific field as long as it is used appropriately and supported by data. However, some fields may be more open to non-traditional uses of induction than others, depending on the nature and scope of the research being conducted.