1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use induction in a non standard way

1. Jul 17, 2013 #1
    So I have to do an induction but I am not quite sure how to set it up. I have already proven that at each step I have either my intended result or I can advance one more step. I have also proven that there are a finite number of steps.

Intuitively I have essentially completed the proof. I just can't figure out how to present this in a way that is completely rigorous.

I get the feeling that "Well there can only be finitely many steps so eventually it will happen" is not good enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how anyone can suggest anything when what you are trying to do is so vague.

4. Jul 18, 2013 #3
    Well I feel a little bit guilty for even posting a homework question at all (It's cheeting). So I am not going to post specifics. I will clarify certain things if people have questions. I think that someone could figure this out with the information I have given. If not then I will just have to figure it out myself which is what I should be doing anyway.

5. Jul 18, 2013 #4
    Sounds like a good "dot-dot-dot" proof, but maybe your professor doesn't like those. I.e. show the process of a couple steps, then "dot-dot-dot", then show the final step!

6. Jul 18, 2013 #5

verty

Homework Helper

No, I was going to ask questions but this is so vague, it isn't in the ballpark of meaning anything.

7. Jul 23, 2013 #6
    Yeah i wish I could dot dot dot this one but that's definitely not allowed. I reallized that I had messed up at an earlier part of this problem anyway. Thanks though.

@verty While what I said was not 100% rigourus I could easily make it that way.

For all natural numbers n, if x is not [itex]\geq[/itex] n, then x < n. Also there exists Y[itex]\in[/itex]N such that x [itex]\leq[/itex] Y.

Prove that x exists and is a natural number.

Edit: We must assume x is a natural number not prove it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted