Use integration to find the total force on a point HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integration to compute the total force on a charge q in the x-direction. It is proven that the magnitude of the force on charge q due to a small segment dy is given by dF=(kqQ/2Lr2)dy. The next step is to determine the magnitude of the x component of this force, which involves using the cosine of the angle between the x-axis and the line connecting the charges. After some adjustments, the final integral to solve is F = \frac{kqQD}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L}(D^2 + y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}dy.
lmlgrey
http://capa.mcgill.ca/res/mcgill/dcmcgill/oldproblems/newerlib/Graphics/Gtype51/prob19a.gif[/URL]

1. A charge Q = 8.10 ×10-4 C is distributed uniformly along a rod of length 2L, extending from y = -11.4 cm to y = +11.4 cm, as shown in the diagram 'on your assignment above. A charge q = 1.80 ×10-6 C, and the same sign as Q, is placed at (D,0), where D = 17.5 cm.
Use integration to compute the total force on q in the x-direction

It is already proven that :
The magnitude of the force on charge q due to the small segment dy is
dF=(kqQ/2Lr2)dy.

3. Given what's already proven that for a small dy:
dF = (kqQ/2Lr2)dy

so i integrated both sides and i got:
∫dF = k*q*Q / 2L ∫ 1/r^2 dy

since r^2 = D^2+y^2

therefore the function becomes:
∫dF = k*q*Q / 2L ∫ 1/D^2+y^2 dy

now what should i do next? and the equation i derived, was it right at the first place?

THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lmlgrey said:
http://capa.mcgill.ca/res/mcgill/dcmcgill/oldproblems/newerlib/Graphics/Gtype51/prob19a.gif[/URL]

1. A charge Q = 8.10 ×10-4 C is distributed uniformly along a rod of length 2L, extending from y = -11.4 cm to y = +11.4 cm, as shown in the diagram 'on your assignment above. A charge q = 1.80 ×10-6 C, and the same sign as Q, is placed at (D,0), where D = 17.5 cm.
Use integration to compute the total force on q in the x-direction

It is already proven that :
The magnitude of the force on charge q due to the small segment dy is
dF=(kqQ/2Lr2)dy.

That may be the magnitude of the force. But what is the magnitude of the x component of that force? (You can see by the symmetry, that the y components all sum to 0 so the integral of the x component gives you the total force).

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, i see...
so now since only the x-component is considered then
cos theta = D/r
and the function becomes:
dF=(kqQ/2Lr^2)dy * D/ r ... is that correct?

then further integrating the above gives:

F= k*q*Q*D^2/2L* ∫1/(D^2+y^2)^-2/3 8 dy? -- did i do this step correct??

lmlgrey said:
oh, i see...
so now since only the x-component is considered then
cos theta = D/r
and the function becomes:
dF=(kqQ/2Lr^2)dy * D/ r ... is that correct?

then further integrating the above gives:

F= k*q*Q*D^2/2L* ∫1/(D^2+y^2)^-2/3 8 dy? -- did i do this step correct??

Not quite.

[tex]F = \frac{kqQD}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L}\frac{1}{r^3} dy = \frac{kqQD}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L}\frac{1}{(\sqrt{D^2 + y^2})^3} dy =\frac{kqQD}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L}(D^2 + y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}dy[/tex]

Good luck working out that integral

AM

thanks, i solved it :)

What is integration and how is it used to find the total force on a point?

Integration is a mathematical process used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval. In the context of finding the total force on a point, integration is used to sum up all the individual forces acting on that point.

What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations. Differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function, while integration involves finding the total value of a function. In other words, integration is the reverse process of differentiation.

Can integration be used to find the total force on a point in three-dimensional space?

Yes, integration can be used to find the total force on a point in three-dimensional space. In this case, the integration process involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional region and multiplying it by the force per unit volume at each point.

Is integration the only method for finding the total force on a point?

No, there are other methods for finding the total force on a point, such as using vector addition or using the principle of superposition. However, integration is often the most accurate and efficient method for complex systems with varying forces.

What are some common applications of using integration to find the total force on a point?

Integration is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze systems with multiple forces acting on a single point. For example, it can be used to calculate the total force on a bridge or the total force on a particle moving through a magnetic field.