Use polar coordinates to evaluate.

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on converting a double integral in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. The initial attempt at the solution involves setting up the limits of integration and converting the integrand to polar form. However, there are mistakes in the conversion, such as forgetting to include a factor of r and using incorrect limits for the radius. The conversation then shifts to discussing the integral of ye^x in polar form and the use of integration by parts to simplify the integral.
Ral

Homework Statement

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/9831/97118623.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew R, and from the circle equation, I know the radius of the circle is 12.5. Since the region is in the first quadrant, that'll mean that my limits of integration for r and theta would be[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{12.5}_{0}[/tex]

I'm getting confused on how to do the actual integration. My professor said to integrate by parts, but I'm still getting confused when doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ral said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

does that say
[tex] e^\infty [/tex]
what does that mean?

Ral said:

I first drew R, and from the circle equation, I know the radius of the circle is 12.5. Since the region is in the first quadrant, that'll mean that my limits of integration for r and theta would be[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{12.5}_{0}[/tex]

I'm getting confused on how to do the actual integration. My professor said to integrate by parts, but I'm still getting confused when doing it.

the radius is not 12.5, try looking at when y=0, what is x? This will be the point of the circle on the x axis. Also it should be theta from 0 to pi/2

now what is an area element dA in polar coordinates? Then set up you double integral with integrands, limits & the function in polar cooordinates, so we can see what the integral actually is

Ral said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I first drew R, and from the circle equation, I know the radius of the circle is 12.5.
No, the radius is not 12.5.
Ral said:
Since the region is in the first quadrant, that'll mean that my limits of integration for r and theta would be[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{12.5}_{0}[/tex]
As already noted, the radius is not 12.5. Also, the region is not the entire circle, but just the part in the first quadrant.
Ral said:
Show us your converted polar-form double integral and we can go from there.

lanedance said:
does that say
[tex] e^\infty [/tex]
I believe it is ex, but you're right, it is a bit hard to read.

Geez, making such stupid mistakes. That part that's hard to read is e^x, sorry about that. I'll retype it here.

[tex]\int\int_{R}ye^x[/tex]

So when I go into polar coordinates, I replace x and y with [tex]rcos\vartheta[/tex] and [tex]rsin\vartheta[/tex] I get

[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{5}_{0}rsin\vartheta*e^{rcos\vartheta} rdrd\vartheta[/tex]

From there, I'm getting lost. Just realized I was missing an r too.

Last edited:
You're missing a factor of r. dx dy --> r dr d[itex]\theta[/itex].
Your first integral is with respect to r. It essentially looks like this:
[tex]A\int r^2 e^{Br}dr[/tex]
where A = sin[itex]\theta[/itex] and B = cos[itex]\theta[/itex].

Since you're going to integrate with respect to r first, the sine factor can be treated as a constant. So can the cosine factor in the exponent on e.

This looks like a job for integration by parts to me. You'd like to get a new integral with a single factor r and the exponential factor in the integrand, and then do integration by parts one more time to get an integral with no factors of r, and just the exponential.

Mark44 said:
I believe it is ex, but you're right, it is a bit hard to read.

makes a bit more sense

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used?

Polar coordinates are a coordinate system that uses a radial distance and an angle to pinpoint a location on a two-dimensional plane. The radial distance is measured from the origin (usually denoted as the point (0,0)) to the point, and the angle is measured counterclockwise from a reference line. They are used to describe circular and rotational motion, as well as to simplify complex mathematical equations.

2. How do you convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) and θ = tan⁻¹(y/x). Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance from the origin (r) and the inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle (θ).

3. How do you evaluate an equation using polar coordinates?

To evaluate an equation using polar coordinates, substitute the values for r and θ into the equation and solve. Keep in mind that the angle θ should be in radians, not degrees. Also, be sure to use the correct value for r, as some equations may require the use of the distance from the origin (r) and others may require the distance along a certain angle (ρ).

4. What are some common applications of polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe rotational motion, such as the motion of planets and satellites. They are also used in navigation, as they allow for easy representation of directions and distances on a two-dimensional map. In addition, polar coordinates are often used in the graphing of polar functions and complex numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates?

One limitation of polar coordinates is that they are not as intuitive as Cartesian coordinates for most people. This can make it difficult to visualize and understand certain concepts, especially for those who are not familiar with them. Another limitation is that some equations may be more complex to solve in polar coordinates compared to Cartesian coordinates. Additionally, polar coordinates are not suitable for describing three-dimensional space, as they only work on a two-dimensional plane.