1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Use Stokes Theorem to evaluate the integral

1. Jul 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Stokes Theorem to evaluate the integral[itex]\oint_{C} F.dr[/itex] where F(x,y,z) = [itex]e^{-x} i + e^x j + e^z k [/itex] and C is the boundary of that part of the plane 2x+y+2z=2 in the first octant

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\oint_{C} F.dr = \int\int curlF . dS[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So first out i calculated the curl and i got [itex]e^x [/itex] K

Also z=1-x-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]y
    and[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = -1[/itex]
    and[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
    and [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})^2 + (\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})^2 + 1}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{9}{4}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]

To get my limits. when Z=0 the image of the plane on the xy plane is a triangle and so my limits will be x=0 to 1 and y=0 to 2-2x

so putting all this together i get

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{2-2x}_{0} (e^x k). (\frac{2i+j+2k}{3})(\frac{3}{2}) dydx[/itex]

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{2-2x}_{0} (e^x)dydx[/itex]
    i have worked out these integrals and i get 2([itex]e^1 +2[\itex])
    this doesnt look right but i dont know where i went wrong. i've gone over it twice
    anyone throw some light on where im going wrong here?
    Thanks for reading!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2012 #2
    Everything looks right. I don't think you evaluated the integral correctly though. I get 2e - 4.

4. Jul 28, 2012 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey gtfitzpatrick.

I haven't done these kinds of problems in a while, but I'm wondering if you are trying to normalize the curl, do you have to divide by 3/2?

I can see you have normalized the plane with the division by 3 (SQRT(2^2 + 2^2 + 1)) and I see how you derived the limits for the triangle in the first octant, but the only thing I'm wondering about is this 3/2 factor.

5. Jul 28, 2012 #4
    The 3/2 factor comes from the dA factor.

6. Jul 28, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

Thanks for that.

7. Jul 28, 2012 #6
    Thanks a million,yes your right i got a sign wrong, it should be 2e-4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook