Use Stokes Theorem to evaluate the integral

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stokes Theorem to evaluate a given integral using the curl of a function and the boundary of a plane in the first octant. The process involves calculating the curl, finding the limits, and evaluating the integral, with a final answer of 2e-4.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Use Stokes Theorem to evaluate the integral[itex]\oint_{C} F.dr[/itex] where F(x,y,z) = [itex]e^{-x} i + e^x j + e^z k [/itex] and C is the boundary of that part of the plane 2x+y+2z=2 in the first octant

Homework Equations

[itex]\oint_{C} F.dr = \int\int curlF . dS[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So first out i calculated the curl and i got [itex]e^x [/itex] K

Also z=1-x-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]y
and[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = -1[/itex]
and[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex]
and [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})^2 + (\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})^2 + 1}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{9}{4}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{3}{2}[/itex]

To get my limits. when Z=0 the image of the plane on the xy plane is a triangle and so my limits will be x=0 to 1 and y=0 to 2-2x

so putting all this together i get

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{2-2x}_{0} (e^x k). (\frac{2i+j+2k}{3})(\frac{3}{2}) dydx[/itex]

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}\int^{2-2x}_{0} (e^x)dydx[/itex]
i have worked out these integrals and i get 2([itex]e^1 +2[\itex])
this doesn't look right but i don't know where i went wrong. I've gone over it twice
anyone throw some light on where I am going wrong here?
Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks right. I don't think you evaluated the integral correctly though. I get 2e - 4.

Hey gtfitzpatrick.

I haven't done these kinds of problems in a while, but I'm wondering if you are trying to normalize the curl, do you have to divide by 3/2?

I can see you have normalized the plane with the division by 3 (SQRT(2^2 + 2^2 + 1)) and I see how you derived the limits for the triangle in the first octant, but the only thing I'm wondering about is this 3/2 factor.

chiro said:
Hey gtfitzpatrick.

I haven't done these kinds of problems in a while, but I'm wondering if you are trying to normalize the curl, do you have to divide by 3/2?

I can see you have normalized the plane with the division by 3 (SQRT(2^2 + 2^2 + 1)) and I see how you derived the limits for the triangle in the first octant, but the only thing I'm wondering about is this 3/2 factor.

The 3/2 factor comes from the dA factor.

who_ said:
The 3/2 factor comes from the dA factor.

Thanks for that.

who_ said:
Everything looks right. I don't think you evaluated the integral correctly though. I get 2e - 4.

Thanks a million,yes your right i got a sign wrong, it should be 2e-4

1. What is Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

2. How do you use Stokes Theorem to evaluate an integral?

To use Stokes Theorem to evaluate an integral, you must first determine the boundary curve of the surface over which the integral is being evaluated. Then, you must parameterize the curve and calculate the line integral. Finally, you can use Stokes Theorem to relate the line integral to the surface integral and solve for the surface integral.

3. What are the prerequisites for using Stokes Theorem?

In order to use Stokes Theorem, you must have a good understanding of vector calculus, including vector fields, line integrals, and surface integrals. You should also be familiar with the concept of a closed surface and how to parameterize curves.

4. Can Stokes Theorem be used for any type of surface?

No, Stokes Theorem can only be used for surfaces that are closed and orientable. This means that the surface must have a consistent orientation, such as the inside and outside of a sphere, and it must not have any holes or boundaries.

5. What are some real-world applications of Stokes Theorem?

Stokes Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It is also used in the study of fluid flow in porous materials and in the analysis of electromagnetic waves passing through different mediums.