Use the defiinition of a line integral to evaluate

In summary, to find the line integral of F(x,y) = (y,x) along the parabola y = x^2 from (-1,1) to (1,1), you can use the definition and dot the function with the derivative of <t, t^2> to get 2t^3. However, this is incorrect as it is not along the parabola. The correct method would be to use the path r(t) = (1-t)<-1,1> + t<1,1> and integrate x^2 ds, which gives 2 as the answer.
Bamboozled91

Homework Statement

Use the definition to find the line integral of F(x,y) = (y,x) along each of the following paths.

The parabola y = x^2 from (-1,1) to (1,1)

Homework Equations

F(x) = gradientf(x)

∫F(x) dx = f(b) - f(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried (y,x) dot (t,t^2) which gave me yt+xt^2 which 2t^3 thus ∫ from 1 to -1 of 2t^3 unfortunatley this was incorrect so I just did this r(t) = (1-t)<-1,1> + t<1,1> which give
<-1,1+2t> then ∫x^2 ds = ∫(-1)^2sqrt(4) = ∫2 dt = 2t from 0 to 1 which gives 2 this was correct however I am not sure if this is a valid way to answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Bamboozled91 said:

Homework Statement

Use the definition to find the line integral of F(x,y) = (y,x) along each of the following paths.

The parabola y = x^2 from (-1,1) to (1,1)

Homework Equations

F(x) = gradientf(x)

∫F(x) dx = f(b) - f(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried (y,x) dot (t,t^2) which gave me yt+xt^2 which 2t^3 thus ∫ from 1 to -1 of 2t^3 unfortunatley this was incorrect so I just did this r(t) = (1-t)<-1,1> + t<1,1> which give
<-1,1+2t> then ∫x^2 ds = ∫(-1)^2sqrt(4) = ∫2 dt = 2t from 0 to 1 which gives 2 this was correct however I am not sure if this is a valid way to answer

It isn't because that second method is along a straight line, not the parabola. But check that part in the red. Aren't you supposed to dot it with the derivative of < t, t2>?

I will try that sorry about the late reply

Lol your right I goofed it thanks man.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path on a graph. It takes into account both the function and the path, and is often used to calculate physical quantities such as work or flow rates.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral deals with functions of one variable, while a line integral deals with functions of multiple variables. A line integral also takes into account the specific path of integration, while a regular integral does not.

3. What is the formula for calculating a line integral?

The formula for a line integral is ∫C f(x,y) ds = ∫ab f(x(t), y(t)) √(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2) dt, where C is the path of integration, f(x,y) is the function being integrated, and ds represents an infinitesimal length along the path.

4. How is the direction of integration determined in a line integral?

The direction of integration is determined by the orientation of the path. If the path is oriented in the same direction as the positive direction of the x-axis, then the direction of integration is considered to be positive. If the path is oriented in the opposite direction, the direction of integration is considered to be negative.

5. Can line integrals be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, line integrals have many practical applications in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path, the flow of a fluid through a pipe, or the circulation of a magnetic field around a closed loop.