Use the Euler identity to prove sin^2x+cos^2x=1

In summary, the conversation is about proving the trigonometric identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1 using the Euler identity. The conversation participants discuss their attempts at solving the identity, with one member suggesting using e^{ix} = cosx + isinx and e^{-ix} = cosx - isinx to solve for cosx and sinx. This leads to a solution for the identity.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Just like my title says, we are to prove the trig identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1 using the Euler identity.

Homework Equations

Euler - e^(ix) = cosx + isinx
trig identity - sin^2x + cos^2x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the Euler for sinx and cosx, then plugging it into the trig identity. I just ended up with something really sloppy with multiple i's left over. I also tried squaring Euler and manipulating values that way to get an answer, but that just ended up really sloppy as well.

If anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate it. I spent about 30mins on this now and am just at a loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume, then, that you got [tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]
and [tex]cos(x)= \frac{e^{ix}+ e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

So that [tex]sin^2(x)= \frac{e^{2ix}- 2+ e^{-2ix}}{-4}[/tex]
and [tex]cos^2(x)= \frac{e^{2ix}+ 2+ e^{-2ix}}{4}[/tex]

That doesn't look very "sloppy" to me. What happens when you add them? (Be careful of that "-" in the denominator of [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex].)

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
I presume, then, that you got [tex]sin(x)= \frac{e^{ix}- e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]
and [tex]cos(x)= \frac{e^{ix}+ e^{-ix}}{2}[/tex]

So that [tex]sin^2(x)= \frac{e^{2ix}- 2+ e^{-2ix}}{-4}[/tex]
and [tex]cos^2(x)= \frac{e^{2ix}+ 2+ e^{-2ix}}{4}[/tex]

That doesn't look very "sloppy" to me. What happens when you add them? (Be careful of that "-" in the denominator of [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex].)

Hmm, that is much different than what I got.

When I solved with Euler for cosx, I got:

cosx = e^(ix)-isinx, then I squared that and that is when it got sloppy.

I'm not sure how you got rid of the "isinx" and got the rest of what you did in your equations?

Ascendant78 said:

Homework Statement

Just like my title says, we are to prove the trig identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1 using the Euler identity.

Homework Equations

Euler - e^(ix) = cosx + isinx
trig identity - sin^2x + cos^2x = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving the Euler for sinx and cosx, then plugging it into the trig identity. I just ended up with something really sloppy with multiple i's left over. I also tried squaring Euler and manipulating values that way to get an answer, but that just ended up really sloppy as well.

If anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate it. I spent about 30mins on this now and am just at a loss.

I suggest an alternative route. If
$$
e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x
$$
what is then ##e^{-ix}##?

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
I suggest an alternative route. If
$$
e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x
$$
what is then ##e^{-ix}##?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure where that is going? Do you mean just 1/(cosx +isinx)? I don't see what to do with that? My problem is I keep ending up with "i" somewhere in my equations that I can't get rid of.

No, he means replace "x" with "-x". If [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ isin(x)[/itex] then [itex]e^{-ix}= cos(-x)+ isin(-x)= cos(x)- isin(x)[/itex]. Now you can solve for cos(x) in terms of [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ix}[/tex] by adding those two equation and solve for sin(x) by subtracting.

Likes 1 person
He means if ##e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x,##

then ##e^{-ix} = \cos (-x) + i \sin (-x) = \cos (x) - i \sin (x).##

Then you have enough pieces to do some creative assembly and get the identity in question.

Edit: Never mind, Halls just posted.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Oh, thank you guys. I didn't know I was able to do that. Clearly I have some things to learn this semester. Now it's a piece of cake. I appreciate the help.

HallsofIvy said:
Now you can solve for cos(x) in terms of [itex]e^{ix}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ix}[/tex] by adding those two equation and solve for sin(x) by subtracting.

No, I intended for him to multiply them. Solving for the cos and sin seems like an unnecessary detour.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the Euler identity?

The Euler identity is an equation in mathematics that connects the exponential function with trigonometric functions. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is the angle in radians.

2. How does the Euler identity relate to sin^2x+cos^2x=1?

Using the Euler identity, we can rewrite sin^2x and cos^2x as (sinx)^2 and (cosx)^2, respectively. Then, by substituting these expressions into the identity, we get e^(ix) = (cosx)^2 + i*(sinx)^2. By taking the magnitude of both sides, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to simplify the equation to e^(ix) = (cosx)^2 + (sinx)^2 = 1, which is equivalent to the trigonometric identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1.

3. Can you prove sin^2x+cos^2x=1 using the Euler identity?

Yes, we can prove sin^2x+cos^2x=1 by starting with the Euler identity and following the steps described in the previous answer. By substituting in the expressions for sin^2x and cos^2x and simplifying, we will arrive at the desired identity.

4. Why is it important to use the Euler identity to prove sin^2x+cos^2x=1?

The Euler identity provides a link between the exponential function and trigonometric functions, allowing us to simplify complex expressions involving these functions. Using the Euler identity to prove sin^2x+cos^2x=1 is important because it provides a more elegant and efficient proof compared to other methods.

5. Can the Euler identity be used to prove other trigonometric identities?

Yes, the Euler identity can be used to prove other identities involving trigonometric functions, such as the sum and difference formulas, double angle formulas, and product-to-sum formulas. It can also be used to prove more complex identities involving multiple trigonometric functions.