Useful engineering classes/skills for physics majors?

In summary, if you're interested in pursuing a career in engineering, taking courses in electrical, computer, mechanical, or aerospace engineering can provide valuable skills to complement your physics degree. Additionally, project-based courses can give you hands-on experience and help you determine which engineering discipline you enjoy the most.
MissSilvy
I'm a third year physics major and loving it but I. We learned a little fluid dynamics and continuum mechanics in classical mechanics and it was really interesting. I don't want to sacrifice taking more physics and math for engineering but I'll be staying an extra year for research.

I work in the machine shop for our physics department, so I can weld, solder, design, and machine various parts manually or on CNC equiptment. I also hang around our ECE department's electronics lab, so I'm learning how to solder, design PCBs, and various other electronics knowledge (signal analysis, how a bunch of lab instruments work and so on). I love physics but I also love most things technical and having a broad scientific education, not just my own small concentration, is important. I'd love to learn programming and I'm planning to take a numerical analysis and data mining class in the computer science department but I'm not sure if I want to follow a government, academic, or industry physics career. So my question basically is what engineering classes would be good to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering classes can be a great way to learn practical skills to complement your physics degree. Depending on what you're interested in, you may want to consider taking courses in electrical engineering, computer engineering, mechanical engineering, or aerospace engineering. Electrical engineering courses can provide an understanding of circuit analysis and design, while computer engineering courses can teach you about embedded systems and programming. Mechanical engineering courses can introduce topics such as dynamics and thermodynamics, and aerospace engineering courses can cover aerodynamics and propulsion. You can also look into project-based courses that involve the design and construction of various machines or devices. This will give you hands-on experience with engineering principles and can help you decide which engineering discipline appeals to you the most.

1. What engineering classes should I take as a physics major?

As a physics major, it would be beneficial to take engineering classes that align with your specific interests and career goals. Some popular engineering classes for physics majors include electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and materials science. Additionally, courses in computer science and programming can also be useful for physics majors.

2. Are there any specific engineering skills that would complement my physics background?

Yes, there are several engineering skills that would complement your physics background. Some of these include problem-solving, mathematical modeling, data analysis, and critical thinking. These skills are essential for both physics and engineering fields and can enhance your abilities in both areas.

3. Can engineering classes help me in my physics research or lab work?

Absolutely. Many engineering classes, such as circuit analysis, design and prototyping, and mechanics, can be directly applicable to physics research and lab work. These classes can provide you with practical skills and knowledge that can assist you in your experiments and projects.

4. How can engineering classes benefit me in my future career as a physicist?

Taking engineering classes as a physics major can provide you with a diverse skill set that is highly valued in many industries. These classes can enhance your problem-solving abilities, technical knowledge, and project management skills, making you a well-rounded and desirable candidate for jobs in research, technology, and other fields.

5. Are there any engineering classes that are particularly challenging for physics majors?

This can vary depending on your strengths and interests, but some physics majors may find classes in computer engineering or advanced electronics challenging due to their heavy focus on programming and circuit design. However, with dedication and hard work, these classes can also be very rewarding and beneficial for your future career.