Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Usenet sci.phys. - can intelligence be obscene?

1. May 10, 2004 #1
    The Usenet sci.phys. (where people "use" each other). It is obvious these people know how to swear, but how well do they actually know their physics? I won't wade in their offal to find out. However, John Baez (the monitor?) seems intelligent and I've yet to see him use obscenities. Do they represent the physics community?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only two groups of the sci.physics.* hierarchy that are moderated are sci.physics.research and sci.physics.strings, the two groups we carry here on physicsforums. The rest are basically chock-full of nuts and flame wars.

John Baez is a very accomplished professor at UCR -- you can definitely trust him.

- Warren

4. May 10, 2004 #3
    Cool, I just sit back and tune in to PF!

5. May 11, 2004 #4
    The usenet groups are crap. To find anything worthwhile is quite an effort. Lots of idiots, lots of bad manners, not much else.

6. May 11, 2004 #5
    I just saw a familiar name. Is that really Ed Witten posting at sci.physics.strings?

7. May 11, 2004 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is anyone here who thinks we shouldn't be moderating language or intervening as moderaters to keep people's attitudes in check needs only put on their highwaters and go wading over there to see why we do it.

I haven't even glanced at that place in over two years, and I don't miss it one bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?