Can You Calculate Time Change Over 40 Centuries?

• Thread starter AMD ZEN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the question is asking for a function of time that will add .0010 seconds per century to the length of day. This would make the length of day in 40 centuries be 4.10 seconds.
AMD ZEN
This problem is baffling myself and several of my friends in the infamous Physics 152 class... so I give it to you to solve. It was on the homework earlier today, and no one got it. Needless to say, we got 5/6 on the homework as a result. But the problem has been bugging us since. So, I was hoping you may have a solution on how to solve this or setup a function of time to assist in solving this.

The question reads as follows:

Assuming the length of day uniformly increased by .0010 secs per century, calculate the cumulative effect one the measure of time over 40 (fourty) centuries.

I would really appreciate help on this problem guys and girls. Thx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to sum the terms in an arithmetic series which is just the average of the first and last term multiplied by the number of terms.

I'm not sure I understand the question but it seems simple. If the length of a day increases by .0010 secs per century then in 40 centuries the length of a day will have increased by 40(0.0010) = 0.04 seconds.

(I would not interpret "cumulative effect" to mean the sum of the lengths of the days.)

I think he also meant that since you will have an added 0.04 seconds to your 40 centuries, those 40 centuries would last a little bit longer, and hence you would get slightly more than 0.04 seconds added. Basically, youd need to add the same ratio of 0.001seconds/century to the 0.04 added seconds, and then add it again to this new added time, etc.

Now, this added length would be extremely small and would practically be 0.04 seconds.

tmc said:
I think he also meant that since you will have an added 0.04 seconds to your 40 centuries, those 40 centuries would last a little bit longer, and hence you would get slightly more than 0.04 seconds added. Basically, youd need to add the same ratio of 0.001seconds/century to the 0.04 added seconds, and then add it again to this new added time, etc.

Now, this added length would be extremely small and would practically be 0.04 seconds.

That may well be. However, since a century is defined as 100 years and not a specific number of days (a year itself is defined as the time it takes the Earth to orbit the sun- not a specific number of days) I would think that the length of a day would not matter.

AMD ZEN said:
This problem is baffling myself and several of my friends in the infamous Physics 152 class... so I give it to you to solve.
Ah, yes, the infamous Physics 152. We talk about it all the time at work. You'd be amazed just how much anguish that course causes us, we can barely get anything done in the day because of its mere existence. It's even more notorious than econimcs 234, if you ask me.

Last edited:

1. How do I use a function to solve this problem?

In order to use a function to solve a problem, you must first define the function by giving it a name and specifying its inputs and outputs. Then, you can call the function by using its name and providing the necessary inputs. The function will then execute its code and return the desired output.

2. What advantages does using a function provide?

Functions allow for code reuse, making it easier to write and maintain complex programs. They also make code more organized and modular, allowing for easier debugging and troubleshooting.

3. Can I use a function to solve any type of problem?

Functions can be used to solve a wide range of problems, from simple mathematical calculations to complex algorithms. However, their effectiveness may vary depending on the problem and the programming language being used.

4. How do I know which function to use for a specific problem?

The function you use will depend on the problem at hand and the desired outcome. It is important to carefully consider the inputs and outputs of a function and choose one that best fits your needs.

5. Can I create my own functions?

Yes, you can create your own functions in most programming languages. This allows you to customize and tailor functions to fit your specific needs and problem-solving approach.