Using a Microwave Oven to Measure the Speed of Light

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
helpme2011
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
For this lab, I'm supposed to use materials that heat up but doesn't allow heat to transfer. I've used raw spaghetti noodles already but I still a few more for more trials.
So what materials are good for this lab? after heating up the material, I measure the distance between the "hot spots" so I can deduce the wavelength of the standing wave ( I have no clue what that means) and from that determine the speed of light.

Is this enough information for someone to help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
helpme2011 said:
For this lab, I'm supposed to use materials that heat up but doesn't allow heat to transfer. I've used raw spaghetti noodles already but I still a few more for more trials.
So what materials are good for this lab? after heating up the material, I measure the distance between the "hot spots" so I can deduce the wavelength of the standing wave ( I have no clue what that means) and from that determine the speed of light.

Is this enough information for someone to help me?

Use a chocolate bar. The distance between the molten parts are indicating the wavelength.
 
helpme2011 said:
For this lab, I'm supposed to use materials that heat up but doesn't allow heat to transfer. I've used raw spaghetti noodles already but I still a few more for more trials.
So what materials are good for this lab? after heating up the material, I measure the distance between the "hot spots" so I can deduce the wavelength of the standing wave ( I have no clue what that means) and from that determine the speed of light.

Is this enough information for someone to help me?

I've also tried egg white! I need at least two more materials I think.
 
I think you read the lab manual incorrectly.
 
Microwave ovens may have a "stirrer" to distrupt the standing wave pattern. Are you being provided with a microwave especially for this experiment?