Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the speed of light with chocolate and a microwave oven

1. Dec 16, 2013 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2013 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It could also be used to measure the frequency of the microwave, which is not as well known as c.

4. Dec 16, 2013 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The method, of course, uses the fact that someone else measured the frequency of the microwave radiation. It's just an alternative way of measuring / knowing time.

5. Dec 16, 2013 #4
    I think that's splendid. What a great way to engage all chocolate lovers in the experimental method!

6. Dec 16, 2013 #5

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheese lovers, too! I've seen the same experiment done with sliced cheese instead of chocolate.

7. Dec 16, 2013 #6
  8. Dec 16, 2013 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

from the OP's link:
    More likely, he didn't realize his method was wrong in principle, but he got lucky and two errors canceled out.

The big conceptual error is assuming that the EM waves are traveling in a horizontal plane, so you can assume the distance between the spots = the wavelength (or half a wavelength, if you don't like the answer you got the first time!). The only "waves" that will produce heat spots in a fixed location are standing waves, and in a rectangular box like a typical microwave the standing waves are three dimensional. They can be very complicated - the wave can reflect off the walls, roof and floor of the box and make several "orbits" around the box before it repeats. What you are measuring is only a slice cut through that 3-D wave pattern. If you want to explore this further, it might be interesting to repeat the experiment at several different heights from the floor to the top of the oven, and compare the different patterns you get. Make sure you measure the positions of the spots relative to the sides of the oven, so you can "stack up" the different layers correctly.

The "real" wavelength inside the oven is something like ##\sqrt{kx^2 + ly^2 + mz^2}/n##, where x y and z are the width, height, and depth of the oven, and k,l,m,and n are four unknown integers. If you knew the values of k,l,m, and n, you could relate that to the pattern of spots you measured. The only problem is that you don't know what the integers were.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. Dec 16, 2013 #8
    That's pretty much the argument in the link I posted (he has some nice pictures to go along with it). Basically, it seems like this experiment only "works" because there will usually happen to be some hot spots whose distance apart is at least in the right order of magnitude, and then you can increase your precision either by hand-wavy measurements or by adding in factors of two as needed. :D

(I'll admit, though, I was kind of disappointed when I found out this experiment doesn't really work... it was one of my favourites in high school.)

10. Dec 16, 2013 #9
    posts 6,7 good insights....

I almost didn't post the link wondering about such....I was thinking reflections but wondered if there was some way manufacturers suppress them...then decided against that since it would seem to dimish delivered power [efficiency]....already not great....and it seems there are metal interior walls so anything outside would seem to have minimal effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook