Using "calculus" in a sentence

• MHB
  • Thread starter nikkor180
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, we often refer to specific branches of mathematics without a prefixed article, but we typically use the definite article "the" before the word "calculus". This is because calculus played a revolutionary role in mathematics, serving as the basis for knowledge itself. Other branches of mathematics are seen as "methods" and are not distinguished enough to be preceded by "the". The word "calculus" originally meant "pebble" and was used for counting, and over time it came to refer to the operations of differentiation and integration. While the usage of "the calculus" has become somewhat archaic, it still holds significance due to the impact it had on the development of mathematics.
nikkor180
In English grammar, we typically refer to specific branches of mathematics without a prefixed article; e.g., solve using algebra, trig., etc..

By contrast, we often prefix calculus with the definite article, "the". For instance, "solve via the calculus".

Can anyone explain this exception to the rule?

Thanks in Advance.

Rich B.

Physics news on Phys.org
nikkor180 said:
In English grammar, we typically refer to specific branches of mathematics without a prefixed article; e.g., solve using algebra, trig., etc..

By contrast, we often prefix calculus with the definite article, "the". For instance, "solve via the calculus".

Can anyone explain this exception to the rule?

Thanks in Advance.

Rich B.

Hi Rich,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I don't recall reading or hearing calculus used with the definite article "the". This would sound strange to me. Can you find an example of this usage? When I search this exact phrase on Google I get a relatively small number of results compared to just "calculus".

I will typically precede the word "calculus" with the article "the" primarily because some of the books I read during my formative years learning about mathematics did so. I cannot tell you why this is done, and not with other branches of elementary mathematics. :)

The word "calculus" literally means "pebble" or "stone" (from the same root as calcium, and ultimately, chalk), it is still used with this meaning in medicine. Originally, these calculi were used for counting (or in more sophisticated form, in an abacus). Thus calculus came to take on the meaning of the counting operations one performs in arithmetic.

Thus "a calculus" was a systemic way of performing calculations. The official name of what is now (as a math subject) called calculus, was: The Differential and Integral Calculus. This was shortened to "the calculus" as a way of distinguishing it from other calculi, for example synthetic division of polynomials. Although initial resistance to *this* calculus was high, it soon gained central prominence because of its wide application to problems involving force and motion, basically laying the technical groundwork for the machinery that fueled the industrial revolution. Physics, in particular, grew by leaps and bounds as this new tool was aggressively applied to many long-standing problems in mechanics, astronomy, optics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism.

As is human tendency, the shortened form stuck, with the longer formal name implied thereby. For quite a long time, it stood as what was considered the pinnacle of human mathematical achievement, a sign that perhaps we really would one day unlock all the secrets of the universe (humans tend to do this, too- we really believe "we're all that"). As other calculi faded into obscurity (algebra was regarded for a long time as just a pedestrian calculation tool, something to master only so one could use it in service to "the calculus"), the "the" was also dropped, and "the calculus" simply became "calculus", or even just "calc" (such as in: "I failed calc this semester, the prof was a toad.").

By contrast, other branches of mathematics are often regarded as "methods" (the word "algebra" originally *meant* method, or reckoning, a cognate of the word "algorithm" used in computer science). So we have several "flavors" of algebra, or topology, or even geometry, none of which is distinguished enough from the rest to be called "the" (except, sometimes, in the sense of "the usual").

So "the calculus" becomes a somewhat archaic usage in today's parlance, although still used, because it really did usher in a revolutionary role for mathematics: not as something used to investigate knowledge, but as something which might serve as the basis for knowledge itself: mathematical proofs are regarded (even by laymen) as some of the more indisputable methods of demonstration available to human reasoning. There are those who believe, rather ardently, that the structure of everything we see has a mathematical basis (which we may, or may not, be able to decipher).

Deveno: Thank you so much for responding to my post. That was quite a nice dissertation!

Best wishes,

Rich

What is calculus used for?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that is used to study and analyze change, such as motion, growth, and decay. It is also used to solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics.

What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and areas under curves.

How is calculus used in real life?

Calculus has numerous real-life applications, such as determining the optimal trajectory for a spacecraft, predicting population growth, optimizing financial investments, and designing roller coasters. It is also used in fields such as medicine, biology, and chemistry to model and analyze various phenomena.

What are the key concepts in calculus?

The key concepts in calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point. Integrals calculate the accumulation of quantities over an interval.

Can calculus be difficult to learn?

While calculus can be challenging to learn, it is a valuable and essential tool for understanding and solving complex problems. With proper instruction and practice, anyone can grasp the fundamental concepts and techniques of calculus.