1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using change of variables to change PDE to form with no second order derivatives

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Classify the equation and use the change of variables to change the equation to the form with no mixed second order derivative. u_{xx}+6u_{xy}+5u{yy}-4u{x}+2u=0

2. Relevant equations

I know that it's of the hyperbollic form by equation a_{12}^2 - a_{11}*a_{22}, which gives 4 >0 so it's hyperbollic.

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I don't understand is how to get started on changing the form to something with no second order derivatives. My book used a matrix method but shows no examples. Could I have a tip for where to get started? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't want "no second order derivatives", you want "no second order mixed derivatives". In other words, you want to get rid of that "[itex]u_{xy}[/itex]" term.

Think of this as [itex]x^2+ 6xy+ 5y^2[/itex], a quadratic polynomial.

Rotating through an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] would give [itex]x= x'cos(\theta)- y'sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= x'sin(\theta)+ y'cos(\theta)[/itex]. Put those into the polynomial and choose [itex]\theta[/itex] so that the x'y' term is 0.

Equivalently, simpler calculations but more sophisticated, write the polynomial as
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & y\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 \\ 3 & 5\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    Use the eigenvectors of that matrix as the new axes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook