Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Curl to determine existence of Potential Function

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    How does it work, exactly?

Assume I have a vector field function and I take the curl of it.

If I get a curl of zero, then does that guarantee that there is no potential function?
    And if I get a curl of non-zero, does that guarantee that there is a potential function?

I googled this, but it wasn't clear.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

You are mixing things up. As far as calculus on ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## is concerned, if ##X## is a smooth vector field defined on a simply connected region in ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## and ##\nabla \times X = 0 ## then there exists a smooth scalar field ##\varphi ## such that ##X= \nabla\varphi ## on that simply connected region. However if the vector field is defined on a non-simply connected region then this need not hold true.

If the curl of the vector field is non-zero, how can the vector field be the gradient of a scalar field?

More generally, we speak of exact and closed differential forms. The result on ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## can be generalized to smooth manifolds using the rather beautiful Poincare Lemma: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_and_exact_differential_forms#Poincar.C3.A9_lemma

EDIT: Note that we make use of the above in electromagnetism all the time because the electromagnetic field ##F## satisfies ##dF = 0 \Rightarrow F = dA## (at least locally) and we call ##A## the electromagnetic 4-potential.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. May 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the quick response!
    So, I take it that the following statements are true (assuming the vector field is smooth and connected in R3 and so on):

If the curl is zero, then that GUARANTEES that there IS a potential function
    If the curl is non-zero, then that GUARANTEES that there is NO potential function

5. May 3, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No. But this is a very tricky subject. A lot depends on the domain of the vector field ##X##. For example, if ##X## is defined on entire ##\mathbb{R}^3##, then it's true: if ##curl(X)=0##, then there is a potential function. But if ##X## is defined on ##\mathbb{R}^3\setminus \{0\}## (for example), then there are counterexamples.

The Poincare lemma states that if the domain of definition of ##X## is convex (or more generally: star shaped), then it is true that if the curl is zero, then there is a potential function. But on more general domains, this might fail.

The study of this question is done in De Rham cohomology. This is a formalism set up to study the situations when ##curl(X)=0## implies the existence of a potential function.

This is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook