Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Using determinant to find constraints on equation

1. Jan 15, 2017 #1

TheDemx27

Gold Member

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 7.17.09 PM.png
    Basically I don't know how to get to the constraints from the system of equations. In class we used det to find constraints for homogenous equations, but we didn't go over this situation. Someone spell it out for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The determinant is [itex]sin^2(\theta )(1+cos^2(\theta ))[/itex].

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3

TheDemx27

Gold Member

How did you get that?
    ##det(A)=cos^2(\theta )sin^2(\theta )+sin^4(\theta )## Which then simplifies into what they got: ## =\frac{1}{2}\ (1-cos(\theta ))=sin^2(\theta )##

My question is how they proceed after that anyways.

5. Jan 15, 2017 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The solution for a particular unknown in a system of linear equations can be expressed as a ratio of two determinants. In your example, the determinant of the denominator is ##\sin^2(q)##. The numerator is the determinant of a matrix formed by using ##C_1, C_2## in place of some entries in the coefficient matrix, depending on which unknown you are solving for. See if the standard method of solving equations in that manner ( e.g. https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-g...tions-using-determinants-with-three-variables ) derives the equations the article ends up with.

##\begin{pmatrix} \cos(\theta) \sin(\theta) & \sin^2(\theta) \\ -\sin^2(\theta) & \cos(\theta)\sin(\theta) \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} X \\ Y \end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} C_1 \\ C_2 \end{pmatrix} ##

Solve for ##X,Y##.

6. Jan 16, 2017 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

my mistake

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted