Using differentials to estimate the maximum possible error in computed product

In summary: If we're using a computer to do the calculations, the errors could be much larger than the \Delta x and other errors, and then the error in our calculation could be much larger than our estimate. This is why it's important to have some understanding of how errors propagate through calculations, and to use methods that minimize the effects of errors.
navalava

Homework Statement

Four positive numbers, each less than 40, are rounded to the first decimal place and then multiplied together. Use differentials to estimate the maximum possible error in the computed product that might result from the rounding.

Homework Equations

dz=(dz/dx)dx+(dz/dy)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the solution to this problem is 4(40)^3(0.05)=12800 and I know how to apply the formula for differential to get that answer.
But I'm having trouble understanding WHY this answer is correct. I tried out this question using numbers closest to 40 that I could get when rounded to the first decimal place.
I used 39.85 for the four numbers. When rounded off, this gives us 39.9.
So I computed the error that would result like so: (39.9)^4 - (39.85)^4= 12680.37959
However, the correct answer is supposed to be 12800. I chose the closest possible numbers to 40 that I could, and I used the maximum possible error from rounding to the first decimal place (0.05). I would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
navalava said:

Homework Statement

Four positive numbers, each less than 40, are rounded to the first decimal place and then multiplied together. Use differentials to estimate the maximum possible error in the computed product that might result from the rounding.

Homework Equations

dz=(dz/dx)dx+(dz/dy)dy

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the solution to this problem is 4(40)^3(0.05)=12800 and I know how to apply the formula for differential to get that answer.
But I'm having trouble understanding WHY this answer is correct. I tried out this question using numbers closest to 40 that I could get when rounded to the first decimal place.
I used 39.85 for the four numbers. When rounded off, this gives us 39.9.
So I computed the error that would result like so: (39.9)^4 - (39.85)^4= 12680.37959
However, the correct answer is supposed to be 12800. I chose the closest possible numbers to 40 that I could, and I used the maximum possible error from rounding to the first decimal place (0.05). I would really appreciate it if someone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Your relevant equation is pretty relevant.

If P = xyzw

you can approximate [itex]\Delta P[/itex] by the total differential of P, dP.

Actually, there is nothing necessarily wrong, since the answer given is just an upper-bound , and not necessarily the absolute maximum error. And, as mark44 suggested, "you're not playing with a full differential" when you write dz=(dz/dx)dx+(dz/dy)dy.

Last edited:
Ohh okay, that would make sense if the differential gives only the upper bound and not the absolute maximum error. But in that case is the differential considered reliable to give the actual maximum error? I'm pretty sure that they are used in practical applications as well, not just theoretical, in which case a rough estimate may not be accurate enough.

navalava said:
Ohh okay, that would make sense if the differential gives only the upper bound and not the absolute maximum error. But in that case is the differential considered reliable to give the actual maximum error? I'm pretty sure that they are used in practical applications as well, not just theoretical, in which case a rough estimate may not be accurate enough.
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I'll answer what I think you're asking as well as I can.

Let P = x*y*z*w, be the product of the four numbers, with 0 < x, y, z, w < 40.

Let Pest = xr * yr * zr *wr, be the product of the four numbers rounded to the nearest tenth.

The exact value of the error is P - Pest = [itex]\Delta P[/itex], and this error could be positive or negative, or even zero if rounding each of the four numbers results in no change to any of them.

It's very seldom that we're interested in the exact error, in part because we usually can't calculate it exactly, but a good estimate (not a rough estimate) usually suffices. If we can calculate a good estimate for |P - Pest|, then we have upper and lower bounds for the error.

|P - Pest| = |[itex]\Delta P| \approx[/itex] |dP| = |Pxdx + Pydy + Pzdz + Pwdw|
[itex]\leq P_x|\Delta x| + P_y|\Delta y| + P_z|\Delta z| + P_w|\Delta w|[/itex]

If [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and the other errors are small in comparison to the partial derivatives (all of which are positive, since we're dealing with positive numbers), the error in our calculation will also be small.

1. What is the purpose of using differentials to estimate the maximum possible error in computed product?

The purpose of using differentials is to provide a way to estimate the maximum possible error in a computed product. This allows scientists to have a better understanding of the accuracy and reliability of their calculations.

2. How are differentials used to estimate maximum possible error?

Differentials are used by taking the derivative of the function that represents the computed product and then evaluating it at the specific point of interest. This gives the slope of the tangent line, which can be used to estimate the maximum possible error.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of using differentials to estimate maximum possible error?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of using differentials to estimate maximum possible error include the accuracy of the original data, the complexity of the function, and the precision of the calculations.

4. Can differentials only be used for linear functions?

No, differentials can be used for any type of function, as long as it is differentiable at the point of interest. This means that the function must have a well-defined derivative at that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using differentials to estimate maximum possible error?

One limitation to using differentials is that it only provides an estimate of the maximum possible error. It does not guarantee the exact error and may not account for all sources of error. Additionally, it may not be applicable in cases where the function is not differentiable at the point of interest.